Buy a daisy chain cord or DIY?

Started by syzygy, April 28, 2005, 10:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syzygy

Which parts/wire would I need to get to build my own daisy chain cable to power multiple 2.1mm DC jacks?  I've read here that many people are using daisy chaining power, but I haven't seen one who has made their own yet.

Thanks!

cd

Wire, 2.1mm plugs.  Total up your cost + time vs. buying a new one.

syzygy

Ok.  What type of wire?  Do I solder the wire to the adapter plugs?  I haven't seen these up close, but it seems they would be too small to solder 4 wires to its inside (2 hot plus 2 ground for a daisy chain node)... I guess I can look up a schematic of a plug on Mouser.

ninoman123

I use the Boss Daisy Chains, much easier than DIY and they arent that expensive. Id rather the screw ups be in my pedals rather than my power. Its just more to have to worry about.

dpresley58

I recently wired up a 5-plug chain using 24-gauge wire and the 2.1's purchased from Radio Shack. I kept the distance between the plugs at just a little over the length of the heatshrink tubing they sell.

The only touchy part is that the holes in the Radio Shack plugs are -very- small. Chances are a 26-gauge wire would be better, especially since you'll be running 4 wires into the plug while constructing the chain.

In retrospect, I'd buy chains if I could locate a source. Then again, it works, was relatively cheap, and I had the parts on-hand. It was just time-consuming.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

Alex C

I use the Visual Sound One Spot daisy chain and adapter.  The daisy chain can be purchased separately for not very much (<$10).  It works very well, and I've had no problems.  The wire is very thin (doesn't get in the way on the pedalboard) but not unreliable.
With a DIY chain, however, you can make your own length, your own number of plugs (keeping current draw in mind), your own spacing between plugs, your own type of wire, etc.  

I guess cd's answer was the most succint.

If I didn't currently have a chain, I think I'd try to DIY one as well.  I usually have much more time available than money.

syzygy

Ok, you guys helped me decide, I'm going to buy one.  It just seems like a tedius project.  I think it would be easier to DIY a power adapter from GG or Geo.

niftydog

ever tried squeezing two lots of stranded wire into a single DC plug solder lug!?!?!

Buy one and be done with it. Probably heaps cheaper too (think of your time as money!)
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

slotbot

boss makes one thats 8 male plugs for around 10 bucks. pretty reasonable.

syzygy

I just found some 2.1 power jack plugs in Rat Shack yesterday which UNSCREW :shock: so you can solder the leads and then screw the end "cap" back on.  But even so, you guys are right, time is money.  I can justify the time spent building the circuit board and enclosure of an effect, but there's nothing to gain from DIYing my own power chords.

Paul Marossy

I used those screw-on cover type jacks that RadioShack sells a few times. From a cost, time and reliability standpoint, I would also have to recommend that you just buy a ready made daisy chain.  8)

LoudGreg

Guitar player not a tech............

dpresley58

Quote from: LoudGreghttp://www.pedalboard.net/
Here ya go. (& fast shipping)  8)

Thanks, G.
I'd checked Boss' site, but couldn't find anything concerning the cable.

"Pedalboard.net..." Geez. This is getting to be a _seriously_ specialized world. Reminds me of the SNL skit about the Scotch Tape Boutique.

Paul Marossy

dpresley58

Doh...  :oops:
Now, why didn't I think of looking there.
'preciate it, Paul.

Mark Hammer

There is much to be said in favour of a nice molded commercial daisy-chain power cord.  On the other hand, it is bloody hard for ANY company to anticipate YOUR particular pedal complement, unless they throw in way too much slack between successive plugs.  

The nice thing about homebrew daisy-chains is:

a) The length is custom tailored to your pedal-board layout.  No excess, no juuuust-long-enoughs or cable strain.

b) As many plugs as YOU want.  No more, no less.  If you want/need more, just add them on.

c) Option to incorporate multiple plug/jack types.  Most power cords anticipate a single jack/plug type, usually 2.1mm.  Some pedals (e.g., many vintage pedals, especially E-H) use mini phone plugs/jacks.  The power should go where the pedal needs to be, rather than the pedal going where the power cord requires, and a rat's nest of patch cords to compensate.

Personally, I advocate a homebrew junction box.  Those little plastic chassis available from Hammond and from Radio Shack can easily accommodate a bunch of things: power-on LED, master power switch, polarity inverter switches, extra regulation, "dying battery" simulators, and multiple power out jacks.  Wall wart goes to junction box, and patch cords connect junction box to pedals.  These can be either/or daisy chains and one-offs for "black sheep" power requirements.

Paul Marossy

QuoteNow, why didn't I think of looking there.
'preciate it, Paul.

No problem.  :wink:

syzygy

NaBo

i'd modify a bought one.  while all of mark's points are good, i'd spend the 10 bucks to have the majority of the jacks and wiring that i'd need.  then it's just a matter of adding or subtracting a few things as needed, much better than doing ALL the jack to jack wiring yourself

Mark Hammer

Sensible compromise.

Question for all.  Just exactly how much does the inclusion of a wah on a pedal board bugger up all your good planning with respect to power cables?