SOT - Boss CE-300 - nice find

Started by mlabbee, April 28, 2005, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlabbee

This is a rackmount chorus from sometime in the 80's.  I bid on it on ebay for $40 on a lark and wound up winning when no one else bid.  Good luck for me - what a suprisingly nice chorus!  

I thought it was digital because I've seen several go for very little $$, but it sounded so lush and creamy that I dug up a schematic (I tried opening it, but you really have to take it apart to see the topside of the board) and was pleasantly surpised to find that it has two independant chorus paths, both analog (MN3007), plus a funky compressor/expander system, which I assume is meant to keep the noise down.  Bottom line - it sounds really, really good.

I've seen a few of these on Ebay lately and they seem to go for around what I paid or just a bit more. If you are looking for a very nicely implemented analog stereo chorus - I highly recommend if you can get them that cheap.

Vsat

Should be a nice sounding unit - it's like a Dimension C, but with knobs instead of switches!

You could mod it for TZF by summing the outputs of the two expanders - try passive summing with a couple of 10K resistors (or therabouts) for a start.
Cheers, Mike

Arno van der Heijden

Mike,

Do you know of other (preferably cheap  :D )(rackmount) stereo chorus/flanger units that are relatively easy to mod for TZF, like this one?

mlabbee

Forgive my ignorance - what is TZF?

Arno - I don't know what TZF is, but I can't imagine you can find a rackmount chorus much cheaper than this one - they seem to go for around 40-50 on Ebay (PrePal says $57 is the avg. price)  Keep an eye out - it's a steal.

Arno van der Heijden

True Zero Flanging... if you do a search in the archives, you should be able to find enough information about that in recent threads...

Vsat

mlabbee - that was a good deal, and  57.00 on eaby is also a good deal.

Arno - can't think of any other suitable dual units offhand - the advantage of the Boss units is that they use 570/571 companders to keep the noise down, which would otherwise be a big problem.
Regards, Mike

puretube

BTW: Arno - make that: Through Zero...
(the "True Zero Flanging" aspect has been covered by me in the "Funny Mojo"-thread: http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=25039... towards the last 5 pages  :) )

no offense, though!  :)

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: puretubeBTW: Arno - make that: Through Zero...

Oops... :oops:  I knew that. And I hate making spelling mistakes. :evil: