"Squashed" tone

Started by jmusser, April 28, 2005, 02:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

Would the guitar tone of Rush's "Working Man" (Alex Lifeson I believe) be what I've heard being referred to as the "Squashed" tone, or would it be a "wooly" tone. I don't know his set up, but it just sounds like dirty amp to me, without a fuzz or anything. I'm just going for a definition of that particular tone so I can get a handle on some of these terms that get thrown around. Thanks
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

RDV

Good luck at defining subjective terms! That song rawks! That's just a very dark(another subjective term) cranked Marshall isn't it?

RDV

Doug_H

Actually I heard somewhere it was a cranked up Fender Twin or something. Sounds Marshally but it was something else, something you would never expect it to be. Someone related an interview with Alex Lifeson that indicated that.

Doug

Doug_H

Actually I heard somewhere it was a cranked up Fender Twin or something. Sounds Marshally but it was something else, something you would never expect it to be. Someone related an interview with Alex Lifeson that indicated that.

Doug

jmusser

I'm sure if I look around, I'll find out what he actually used, but I have always thought it would be cool to have at least maybe 20 terms for reference on what tone a guitar has on a particular song. That may be as easy though, as saying what's the best distortion or fuzz :roll:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Fret Wire

I always thought from interviews it was a Marshall/LP combo. Not a hard sound to get, though. Alot of times, what sounds like a ton of distortion on recordings isn't really. It's more of a "big" guitar sound, that on record, sounds "big".
That didn't come out right :roll: , but you know what I mean. On the main riff, the occasional open E chord has enough definition, meaning not a ton of distortion, but more of the amp. That still didn't come out right. :?:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

bwanasonic

I think of *squashed* as a clean sound with tons of compression. This question brings me back to the idea for a database of recorded examples of a given effect. It would be great to be able to enter a song/artist and get info on what effects may have been used. And vice versa - enter an effect and get info on classic recorded examples of that effect. This could be expanded to include references to common adjectives used in FX jargon (farty, splatty, woody, squished, brown, etc.).

Kerry M

petemoore

Yupp Squashed = Compression term in my 'book'...lol
 But Being familiar with Working Man [politically incoerrectness]...
 It's like a Squashed Fuzztone ... I can pretty much get that, it sound like what I'm callin' pushed tube amp relapse'...
 Now if you have a tube amp that does "that'...that's one thing.
 I use a Fuzz of some sort when I'm doing that song...probably a boosted FF or Dist+ type clipping device....The [tuff] part for me is to get that squash on the single notes and Chords that sound like the chorded parts too...Yer gonna need a little reverb to I think.
 My amp does that kind of thing PDWell...it's a MkII 50w Reissue...my other amps don't Work as good at that, Man...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.