Sunface Schematic

Started by Hailstorm350, April 30, 2005, 05:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hailstorm350

Does anyone know where to get a schematic for one of these beautiful masterpieces?  I must have one.  And I must put NKT trannies in it!  
I MUST make one....  it is lustworthy.  Is it based on the original arbiter Fuzz Face?  I must know so I can build one,  it sounds absolutely phenomenal.   AAAAh  I must have one!
Thanks,
Ken
Now, don't you start that again!

cd

Quote from: Hailstorm350Is it based on the original arbiter Fuzz Face?

Yes.  Use a pot instead of the 8.2k resistor.

bwanasonic

Don't swallow that NKT hype whole. Read the "Technology Of The Fuzz Face" article at www.geofex.com and read about the "Multi-Face":

http://www.runoffgroove.com/multiface.html

Kerry M

phillip

All you have to do is build a well-tuned Fuzz Face circuit.  Mike (analogmike) puts a pot on the collector of Q2 for external bias adjustment.  Not sure which value pot would be the best for that spot...either 10K or 25K.  Mike also said on this forum not too long ago that he uses a 250KA volume pot in place of the 500KA.  I prefer a 100KA volume pot so that more highs get through.

As Kerry said, you really don't need to search out real NKT275 transistors (which are nearly impossible to get ahold of these days)...all you need is a pair of good, gain tested and leakage checked Germanium transistors and you'll have a great sounding circuit.  Steve Daniels over at Small Bear Electronics (//www.smallbearelec.com) sells pairs of excellent tested PNP Germanium transistors specifically for the Fuzz Face.  I think he now also has NPN Germanium transistors, too :)

The "NKT275" transistors that show up on eBay a lot aren't the real things from what I've seen.  Most of the time they're the modern generic Germanium transistors that have simply been marked NKT275...the same kinds are also marked "AC128."  Real NKT275s have straight-sided cans, but the new production ones have a flange around the bottom.

Check out the Germanium Axis Face:

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/axisface.html

Or if you'd be interested in a Silicon version of the circuit that almost exactly nails the Germanium tone, without the temperature instability problems, definitely be sure to check out the Silicon Axis Face:

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/axisfacesi.html

Hope this helps some!
Phillip

mojotron

I agree, I bought a few FF based pedals - all sounded great. But, when I built my own I reallized that I could duplicate all of them with more avalible parts. Then I tweaked them to sound better - to my ears - adding a few of the well known mods. I sold all of the pedals I bought - and I ended up with FFs that are better then the one's I bought.

BUT, all kinds of Ge transistors sound very different, AND if you buy some from mouser (NTE158, NTE102, NTE102A...), or from a store, 60-70% are only canidates for future Rangemaster builds - for good for the FF. So, to really build a great Ge FF - to your ears, you have to put a lot of effort/money into it. Using only NKTs, even the originals will likely not produce the best result.

I found that Si transistors sound very similar, but the Fairchild PN2369A - is really magical in the FF circuit... And, they are chap, each one is good, and (to my ears) they are the best FF transistor. I use a 2369A for Q1 and 2n5088 in Q2. Which I thought was interesting because in the transistor selection section of the Axis Fuzz Si WWW page it says the about same thing... Anyway, the I did something very similar to the Si Axis face - but I use a 2n5088 for Q2 and only a 30pF cap - and I got comparable results as using the best (expensive) Ge transistors - only without the hiss and expense - to my ears.

petemoore

Si FF...I like it !!!
 Have to second or third or whatever the 2369' for Q1 position.
 FOr the trim pot, I've use a 4k7 and 10kpot seriesed, this gets enough voltage control, most of it is in a usable bias range, so I think some series resistance around 4k7 or so and the 10k pot woulud make for a good third pot on top if that's what you wanted to use one for.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Hailstorm350

Thanks guys, this has pointed me in the right direction, and will be perfing it pretty soon.  I had built an 'axis fuzz' for a friend, but unfortunately I didn't go to the fuzz central page and then later on I realized I had built the wrong one.  Oh well.  I'll just build another one, no real big loss in parts.
Thanks,
Ken
Now, don't you start that again!