Help Fixing Small Stone

Started by halfmassive, May 01, 2005, 12:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halfmassive

Hi,
I want to fix the volume drop in my new small stone usa reissue, but have one quick question. Are the mods listed on this page http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/bom/smallvlp.txt

for the russian versions, original versions or the nyc reissue that I have, or basically the same for all??  Also will the carbon resistors from radio shack work for this mod or would I be better of with something else?  I am new to tinkering with my effects so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I've fixed the Small Stone Reissue and it worked perfectly.... If you scroll down halfway here, you will see instructions for the reissue.  I have confirmed it myself (although i have since traded the pedal).

Here is the relevant portion from that webpage:

Reissue Information

Here's some information from Matt Farrow about the reissue Small Stones.

* To fix the volume loss problem - The feedback resistor in the input gain stage is R6, 5k6 - change to 10k The mixing resistor in the feedback / color stage is R27, 2k2 - change to 5k6

The resistors are numbered on the PCB so it is quite easy to locate (check the resistor color coding just to make sure).  if you are handy with tweezers, you can even sneak in and remove that resistor without removing the PCB... and then install the new resistor on the solder side of the board.

halfmassive

Will radioshack carbon resistors do, or should I get something else??  I have read that carbon resistors can tend to be noisy when compared the metal film??  but I don't know if it would make a difference in this case??

thanks again for the help

halfmassive

I just did the mod - it took me about 10 or 15 minutes and couldn't be easier.  NOw I don't get any noticible volume drop.  I just used one radioshack 10k resistor and reused the 5k6 that was already in the ss.  If the mod is this easy I don;t know why EH doesn't just make them this way??

thanks again for your great insight

onboard

Quote from: halfmassiveIf the mod is this easy I don;t know why EH doesn't just make them this way??

Already spoken like a true diy'er. Welcome to the forum!
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

halfmassive

Quote from: onboard
Quote from: halfmassiveIf the mod is this easy I don;t know why EH doesn't just make them this way??

Already spoken like a true diy'er. Welcome to the forum!

thanks - glad to be around