Speakers in series question ?

Started by MartyMart, May 01, 2005, 04:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Thinking of putting my "Ruby" or my "Stupidity box" in a wooden enclosure, which I'll make from 18mm MDF.
A "Mini Amp" if you like, I have two speakers, both 4 ohm, one is a 6inch
mid/bass driver and the second is a 3inch mid/top unit.
The 6 inch is rated at 120hz to 45hz and the smaller from 10khz down
to 100hz ...
So knowing "not much" about this, do I need a "cross-over" or could I
wire them in series and the correct "signal" will appear from both speakers ?

I'm sorry if this is "OT" or just plain "stupid"  !

Advice welcome  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Don't exceed the amps ohmage rate.
 I've run Xovers on guitar speakers and amps, but only for a very short time...
 Test the speakers one at a time, and note high/low end response, choose the speakers that sound best...hook 'em up.
  Alot of small watt systems use an Xover consisting of a HP Filter cap on the HF driver.
 I generally like the sound of a responsive 'full range' [as opposed to an X'd over] speaker array.  
 However with a nice High Quality 12'' SPKR.,  horn and a Xover with coil and rotory action... :wink: ...a cool effect...different thread...
 I had an old VOX Beatle Cab, came with 'Midax' HF horns/driver [very nice BTW]...I pulled them out for use on vocals.
 I'd just go by ear with those drivers as far as voicing and response curves because it's quick and very telltale, I check ohmages and compare for best matches..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Not sure how much point there would be in having two differrent sized speakers when your talking about speakers that small and guitar frequencies.   You may want to use two of the 6" speakers, or consider a single speaker design. You do need a crossover if you want different frequencies to *route* to different speakers.

Kerry M

MartyMart

Thanks Guys,
I'll give the single 6inch speaker a try, it may well have enough "hi-mids"
in it anyway.

marty
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

bwanasonic

The original Pignose did a good job with just a 5" speaker. I have fond memories of rawking out on the beach in the late 70's with a Pignose, an MXR Distortion + and Phase 90.

Kerry M