Metalzone clipping diode question

Started by pnak, May 01, 2005, 11:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnak

Ive modded my MT-2 to a hybrid of the indyguitarist (great mod-fantastic person to deal with) and the keeley mods. My question is in the clipping diodes the D3 and D4. How to get a smoother distortion. Do I put a cap in parrallel with d3 or d4 or across both, and if both where do I connect  it and what would be a good value.

MartyMart

Try a small cap in parallel with the diodes, ( across the pair) a 47pf to 150pf will work.
The bigger the value the more "high grit" will be removed, so smoother.

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Greybeard

I took mine out completely :wink:

Greybeard

pnak

so you put one leg on the back side of D3 and the other leg on th front side of D4.

you took the clipping diodes out completely with no jumper . what does it sound like.

Greybeard

Very BIG........ I ended up changing a lot of other things too eventually. But now it really does sound like an amp being massively overdriven, instead of a cheap copy of one.

Greybeard

pnak

If you have a list of your changes Greybeard I would be very interested.
Ive been doing some experimenting on a couple of MT-2's ive had laying around to try to get that sound your talking about . Im playing through a fender hot rod deville 2x12 with vintage 30's and the mt-2 is starting to get where i want it to be but still not quite their yet.

Greybeard

I also posted this over at the Indy Guitarist forum but will re post here. I don't know if cross forum links are allowed or not. There is a sound clip over there also.

But here is the mod. This is a cut and paste...............

(clip)

OK, this is the MOD as is on the sound clip. I haven't done any further mods to it yet but mean to get back in there and smooth out the soft distortion a little, something I don't like yet. But .....

This is Greybeards No Diode Mod to date ..........
C6, C27 10uf Tantalum
C11, C21, C37, C39 1.5uf Monolithic
C25, C35 .01uf
C36 .47uf
C34, C42 .1uf
C22 .015uf
C23 .0015uf
D4, D5 Remove. Replace w/ .001uf
R51 15 ohm

This is a work in progress, it has great tonal range and possibilities. If I had the money for parts, I am sure I could take it further.

Greybeard  :wink:

(clip)
enjoy

Greybeard

wampcat1

Sounds great, Greybeard!!

BTW, here is the link to the thread with the soundclip:
http://www.indyguitarist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=545#545

Take care,
Brian

MetalGuy

I've played with those caps in parallel with the clipping diodes and I can't hear  any difference up to 10nf /yes not pF, nF!/. 47nf takes care of the grit very well.
I've tried also the Marshall style clipping /diode bridge with a 5th diode across/ and it sounds juicier.