transister selection

Started by DJU, May 02, 2005, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJU

hi all, one of these days I am going to stop reading and start building. My question is about the GGG tone bender mark II profesional NPN germanium ver.  the parts list says you need 3 germanium transisters but fails to say which one. I know small bear electronics has them but I was probably going to use mouser. which transisters do I need. how about substitutions? and my next question is  I read something about substituting LED's for diodes in a TS type of circuit. is it just as simple as removing the diode and inserting the LED (with respect to polarity) or is there something else I need to be aware of. I hope to get off my lazy butt and get some parts ordered for at least two projects so I can say "look what I made". thanks for your help, dj

brett

Hi.  For the tonebender you'll want some low hFE trannies.  For a while now, the 2N2369/PN2369 has been the favoured transistor for such applications by some of us here.  Typical hFE is 70.  For slightly higher hFE, I use BD139s, with hFE from 120 to 150.  Old 2N3904s and BC108s might also fit the bill.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

brett

Oh yeah.  The LEDs will give your TS a heavier, harder sound.  (a more "square" waveform).  It's as easy as replacing the diodes with LEDs.  However, you'll lose some of that classic TS sound.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)