M082 / M083 (?) -like Top Octave Generators?

Started by puretube, May 02, 2005, 05:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

does somebody remember one of those mentioned ICs (designed to generate the 12 pitches for tuners?);
It put out 12 frequencies simultaneously;
(like 12 of what were called "top octave generators" in the days of yore..."

My question: does anybody know of a currently produced chip,
which outputs 12 pitch-orientated (well tempered) frequencies
simultaneously? (no PICs or eproms! - just p`n`p blackboxes...).

I didn`t use the search-function, and haven`t googled yet  :P

(btw: possibly one of the 2 mentioned chips was a rhythm-generator,
but I`m looking for a "tuner-chip").

Any organ-oldie reading this?

R.G.

Top octave generators were always a favorite of mine. I still have a couple. What you want is the MM50250 single chip top octave generator. the 082/083 needed two chips.

Alas, unless some boutique fab is building them, there aren't any, haven't been for ages.

If you want more than one or two, you are stuck with PICs or PLDs.

Either the PIC or PLD will do the trick very well. There's code for a top octave generator on the web, free, at http://chip.aeug.org/oct54all.asm and someone could have that in a PIC for you in less than 15 minutes. Once the PIC is programmed, you can consider the chip to be, and in fact it actually is a specific purpose top octave chip with as much supply as you want to buy - at about $2.50 each.

PLDs will also do the job, you just need someone who's sharp with them to do the initial setups for the magic-ratios dividers.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth as far as I know it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

toneman

Try--
Organ Service Corporation
190 East Washington Street
Marengo, IN 47140
Phone: 800-457-4408 - Fax: 812-365-2208
Email: custsvc@organservice.com

have your VISA ready.......
T
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

radio

R G

is there sonething you don t know,musically :shock:

I m heavily impressed!!

Admiring greetings  JErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Dan N

R.G.

QuoteHave a look first:
http://www.organservice.com/
click "retro kits"
Hey! Cool! Like I said "Alas, unless some boutique fab is building them, there aren't any, haven't been for ages. "
Apparently this company either convinced a fab to make them or is having their own gate-array customization or preprogrammed parts made for them.

$40 a chip is not too much if that's all that stands between you and your organ running.

But I still get this funny itch that a $2.00 PIC (or Scenix at 50MHz) would do the same job.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

Nota Bene: the chips they're using are not PICs. The power pins are in the wrong places, even for all-pins-bent-backwards.

I would guess gate array or PLD next, and actual custom fab last. Fabbing parts is EXPENSIVE.
R.G.

David

Quote from: R.G.Top octave generators were always a favorite of mine. I still have a couple. What you want is the MM50250 single chip top octave generator. the 082/083 needed two chips.

Alas, unless some boutique fab is building them, there aren't any, haven't been for ages.

If you want more than one or two, you are stuck with PICs or PLDs.

Either the PIC or PLD will do the trick very well. There's code for a top octave generator on the web, free, at http://chip.aeug.org/oct54all.asm and someone could have that in a PIC for you in less than 15 minutes. Once the PIC is programmed, you can consider the chip to be, and in fact it actually is a specific purpose top octave chip with as much supply as you want to buy - at about $2.50 each.

PLDs will also do the job, you just need someone who's sharp with them to do the initial setups for the magic-ratios dividers.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth as far as I know it.

R.G. -

You mentioned this program in reference to a thread about the Moog Taurus some time ago.  This code identifies itself as being for the 16C54.  I looked this unit up and discovered that it requires some kind of special parallel connection and, IIRC, cannot be programmed in-circuit.  I've done searches for 16C54 equivalents and found little to nothing.  Could a 16C84 or perhaps one of the units you used in the ASMOP be used instead?  Perhaps you could point me to a cogent Web link where I could find the answer myself.

puretube

thank You, R.G.:
I`ll have to "Give PICs a Chance" (everybody siiing);
8)  of course you immediately realized, that I`m not planning on repairing or building me a one-off organ or tuner.

And the purpose I need such a device for, doesn`t allow to implement a multi-$ chip...

Actually I`m looking for such a thing for 2 different projects;
(one for real pitch - the other a lot of octaves higher for a different "clocking"-project).

So with the PICs (-programming) I`ll return (gosub/return/if/then...) to the digital stuff, which I abandoned after my ZX81 experiments some 20 years ago...

:shock:

EDIT:
one project is the "StalkerChaser",

and the other the "Cherry-Blossom Slapback", (details only of interest for Mark & DiyFreaque...)

radio

Hello

"John Ton Lennon" is it a harmonizer your planning??

I had one in an 80is mono yam synth!

Greetings

JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

David

Puretube-

Be careful when you're developing the software for that "StalkerChaser".  If you get a "bug" in your code, you could really get...  stung.   :roll:  8)  :oops:  :twisted:

puretube

ahh, David: just went thru a couple "back-issues":
don`t worry: it`ll pop up in your topic-reply-notification mailbox, too  :wink:

R.G.

QuoteYou mentioned this program in reference to a thread about the Moog Taurus some time ago. This code identifies itself as being for the 16C54. I looked this unit up and discovered that it requires some kind of special parallel connection and, IIRC, cannot be programmed in-circuit. I've done searches for 16C54 equivalents and found little to nothing. Could a 16C84 or perhaps one of the units you used in the ASMOP be used instead?
The code is quite old. The later PICs all execute the same assembly code. Specifically, the 16F628/29 and 16F818/19 are 19 pin chips that are code compatible and should execute the same code, given a run-through for pin assignments and such. Most of the higher level PICs will too.

By the way, as noted the code executes four octaves down from the top octave. You have two ways to get to higher octaves if you really need that. You can get the much-faster Scenix device noted or you can use a CD4046 PLL to phase lock and multiply the signals up four octaves with some CMOS dividers. Needs one CD4046 and one CD4024 per signal, but it's hugely repetitive circuitry, and by using the 7 stage 4024 you get all the notes for a full organ.
R.G.

puretube

Quote...the other a lot of octaves higher for a different "clocking"-project.

OK: a lot higher - and not neccessarily "equally tempered" - and not neccessarily 12 outputs (5 or 6/7 `d be enough):
just an as simple as possible multi - frequency oscillator with f1/f2/f3... not not being integer multiples of each other,
for clocking some "roll yer own" MN3011-substitute  :wink: .
(best with inv. & noninv. outputs...).

This doesn`t allow PLL multiplication (large parts count...).

(for a first try I`ll probably check it out with some randomly "tuned" Hex Inverters - but that belongs into one of the 3011-threads...)

David

Quote from: R.G.The code is quite old. The later PICs all execute the same assembly code. Specifically, the 16F628/29 and 16F818/19 are 19 pin chips that are code compatible and should execute the same code, given a run-through for pin assignments and such. Most of the higher level PICs will too.

By the way, as noted the code executes four octaves down from the top octave. You have two ways to get to higher octaves if you really need that.

THANK YOU!  I'm putting together a plan to clone a PAIA "Oz", but hamstring it so it only does the C1 (and possibly C2) octave(s) -- thereby giving me bass pedals.  I had tracked down MK50240 chips already -- but $35 a chip seems steep.  Also, if that 50240 ever croaks...

When you say "run-through for pin assignments", do you mean to map out the pin assignments on the MK50240, 16C54 and whatever PIC I ultimately use so that I can make the right connections?  This would fool the Oz clone into thinking it had a 50240, right?

The other thing:  can the PIC be put into an external programmer, or does it have to be in-circuit?  I found a pretty simple external programmer circuit.  Guess I should see if it would work with the PICs you listed.

Thanks for the info, R.G.!