Homemade pedalboard

Started by romdos, May 02, 2005, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romdos

Forgive me if this off-topic, but I figured with all these do-it-youselfers here, someone would have built their own pedalboard.  I'm interested in building a pedalboard with a case to go over it to protect the pedals.

I also would like to make the floor such that I can route the wires under it to keep the top clear.

Anybody got ideas/plans?

TIA

Connoisseur of Distortion

i made a double-decker board a little while ago... i made it from a single piece of wood, by cutting off one little section for support triangles, another small section for the actual supports (trapezoid shaped guys), cutting said supports so that the top level would ride evenly on the trapezoids while lying across the lower level, then cutting the biggest chunk into the top and bottom levels.

to get good adhesion, i stapled felt across the upper and lower levels (for you velcro fans). to ensure that i wouldn't pull out my cord, i drilled three holes for an in-out-in type thing, should i want it.

the thing is massive, and will take me ages to fill. plus, it took me one day to plan, layout, cut, prepare, construct, and improve, and should give me years of good service.

if you would like a picture of it, i can post one.

Ripper

I went through second hand stores till I found a hardsided case that had the type hinges that slide sideways and you can remove the one side from the other ($5).  The I drew out what I wanted and got a piece of 1/8 aluminum the proper size and had it bent to my specs (the metal and bending cost $20)  I put velco striping on the top, and drilled holes for the cables to come out by the pedals (both signal and power).  I mounted my power supply underneath.  The back is slightly higher than the front so it slopes and makes it easier to get at all the pedals.  I then mounted two 1/4 inch jacks for input and output and have the power cord end come up in the one corner.  I fastened the pedalboard with swivel clips into the side of the case and put little rubber feet on that side of the case on the outside.  Now when I get to a gig, I slide the one side off, plug in my cables and power and I am ready to go.

petemoore

Goes for case making too.
 Assemble the 6 sides to the Plywood box, THEN cut the top open from the bottom with a table saw, 'rolling' the box...the top and bottom will then fit perfectly [of course] and makes it Wayyy easier to do.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

radio

Hi

My diy pedalboard has 2floors +-9V 2daisychaines

build with alu and masonite and a kind of rail to protect power source!

5on each floor each can be flipped up then you only need to

connect 220V

Greetings JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

CS Jones

I built something based on the Pedal Train.

I used ...

shelf brackets from Lowe's

leftover scraps of pine wood

black paint

velcro

screws

It's lightweight and I fit it inside a spare bag type keyboard case I used to use for my Roland XP50 until I got a hard case for it.

Here are some pedals thrown on it just to give an idea of what the placement spacing might look like. It has a space under the top tier to run your power supplies.

I don't use this at my current gig because stage space is very limited and I only use 3 pedals. With careful routing you can get your wires inside the bracket spaces underneath but the screws get in the way so you might want to rework it your own way. There are also wider brackets you can get to give you more lead space. Total cost less than $10 maybe? I don't know.

Clay

radio

:shock: Nice work Clay

Greetings JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Paul Marossy

Here's the first one I built out of a cut-down bass guitar case:
http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/NewPedalBoard.htm

And here's a little compact one I made for occassional use:
http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/CompactPedalBoard.htm

I still use the big one all the time. It has held up pretty well after at least three years of use.  8)

Eric H

Quote from: CS JonesI built something based on the Pedal Train.

Clay
That's slick, Clay.
Mine is pedal-train inspired, but a bit over the top:
http://users.abac.com/ehensel/stompbox/board/board.htm

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Paul Marossy

Nice ground buss.  :wink:

Steve C

Here's one that I made:

thumposaurus

Wow, everyone else's here makes mine look like poo.

No pedals on it right now as everything is packed up for moving, it used to have an upper level too but it broke, as soon as I get a shop again I'm going to make a new upper level and a case of sorts for this t osit inside of.

My brother has his stuff built into an old brief case, I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of it next time I pay him a visit.
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

ryanscissorhands

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=82&Itemid=110
And I especially like PJM's pedalboard. In fact, Iit was the one I was going to link to, but for some reason I thought it was at GGG.

[Sidenote: I was inspired by PJM's hinge setup, and implemented that kind of releasing hinge on my sitar-thinger that I've mounted on my guitar. Tres cool. Thanks, Paul!].