Simple latching foot switch using Boss switch

Started by Greybeard, May 03, 2005, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybeard

I searched and could not find what I need. so maybe some one can point me in the right direction.

What I need is a simple latching switch that uses the momentary swith in a Boss pedal. I want to build a latching footswitch in an old boss box to use with my SD-2, remote jack.  the simpler the better, low parts count and redily avalable. Something that maybe someone here has experiance with.

Yeah I could just put a stop switch in a box and have at it but I want the same look as the boss boxes and I mean to use the rest of the box for a buffer that will always be on. so this uses both portions of the box and gives me a nice clean look for my pedal board.

Thanks,

Greybeard

Greybeard

niftydog

just to clarify.

You want to gut out a boss pedal

use the original footswitch

insert circuitry to create a latching switch

hook it up as a remote to another device.

right?

Surprised you couldn't find anything here about that. Maybe try some different search terms.

Anywho, you might try a flip flop and some relay driving circuitry, or a CMOS switch such as the 4066... sorry, no direct experience, but there are many ways to skin this particular cat.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Greybeard

Thats what I want to do, yes. I would prefer to stay away from relays due to size, etc. All this has to do is switch ground to tip on a 1/4 plug and hold it there. Mostly what I found was bypass switching which is not what I am trying to do in this case.

Thanks,

Greybeard

niftydog

niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Gringo

Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Greybeard

Went and looked, bookmarked for future reference, all much more than I need for this project. all it has to do is switch one line, either open or grounded, and hold that state untill I hit the switch again. I was thinking there must be a very simple way to do this with a few FETs or a CMOS chip. not a whole dual IC,  a bunch of parts, and a 2' by 2' circuit board........ Those links are handy tho' for other projects.

Does anybody know what is inside the boss remote footswitch? Is it mechanical or electronic? There was a thread on the topic but it got off topic and the original question wasn't answered.

Thanks,
Greybeard

niftydog

the boss switching is electronic.

I provided those links because all the ground work has been done for you. You could use a FET, maybe even just a BJT, but it would require some calculations to make it work and probably some testing and fiddling before it worked reliably.

The flip flop latch and a 4066 CMOS switch would perhaps be a quicker solution than using a FET.

Should be plenty of info on the web about making flip flops into alternate state latches, and the 4066 datasheet is pretty straight forward.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Greybeard

niftydog

sorry, I misread your post.

Remote footswitches are invariably mechanical only. They come in two flavours, momentary and alternate. My best guess is that the boss remote types simply take over the job of switching from the footswitch in the pedal, or provide a secondary switching function which operates in the same way as the built in switching system. All the electronics is on board with the effect pedal itself.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Greybeard

but if I use a momentary it doesn't latch so the boss footswitch is a push on push off for the latching style then. IE it clicks.............

Greybeard

niftydog

niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!

Greybeard

LyleCaldwell

What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

Greybeard

Just a DIY project I had in mind......... Sometimes I come up with ideas and try to find resourses to figure them out. I have a box with a mechanical switch in it now. I guess I will just use that.

Greybeard

RickL

A company called Unimec makes switches just about the same size as the momentary switch in Boss pedals. They are available in both latching and momentary versions. It would fairly easy to mount one in a Boss pedal (might need a little shimming or trimming) in place of the original switch.

Greybeard