Psychtar has a lot of sounds.....

Started by MartyMart, May 03, 2005, 03:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

.....for something that seems so simple !
Drones, Sitar, banjo, octave, Fuzz etc etc  :shock:
I wasn't expecting so much from it, but I can recommend it BIG TIME !
I've been running it through my Phase 45/Univibe and it takes on a life
of its own  :D
OK, its not "instant gratification" you have to put in some work with your
pickup selection/tone control, but ALL those sounds are in there.

Nice one Tim, a very enjoyable and "different" build .

If you're looking for something "not the norm" this is it !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

JimRayden

Soundclips always accepted. :D Actually I'm burning to hear the banjo sounds from that.

------------
Jimbo

MartyMart

Quote from: JimRaydenSoundclips always accepted. :D Actually I'm burning to hear the banjo sounds from that.

------------
Jimbo

Well if I can get "down on tape" - so to speak, the tones I'm hearing then
I'll do some on thursday.
I think you'll be "blown away" !!  :D
I forgot to mention all the "ring mod" and overtones available too !

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

JimRayden

*The crows awaits in an anxious silence.*

---------
Jimbo

tungngruv

Marty, what did you use for the trannie? Mine sounds good, but...... I did not have the MPSA13, I had to use a 2N5089 (closest thing I had). I'm getting the sitar but the octave is more of a slicing "fuzz" instead of the octave. I also tried a 2N3904, and a couple other trannies but they wouldn't even allow an effect signal to be produced!!!!

MartyMart

Quote from: tungngruvMarty, what did you use for the trannie? Mine sounds good, but...... I did not have the MPSA13, I had to use a 2N5089 (closest thing I had). I'm getting the sitar but the octave is more of a slicing "fuzz" instead of the octave. I also tried a 2N3904, and a couple other trannies but they wouldn't even allow an effect signal to be produced!!!![/quote

MPSA13, your 5089 should be close, but I guess in this circuit, that could
make a LOT of difference ?
Have you tried a front pickup humbucker, with top rolled out and
playing very gently ?
Tone/Vol/picking etc makes a HUGE difference  :wink:
The overtones come out very well when you just "touch" the strings ...
and try some harmonics .. !   FAB :D

Marty.

RDV

The MPSA13 is a darlington(or 2n1) transistor with a gain of about 5000.
The 2N5809 has a gain of maybe 800.
Big diff.

RDV

MartyMart

Quote from: RDVThe MPSA13 is a darlington(or 2n1) transistor with a gain of about 5000.
The 2N5809 has a gain of maybe 800.
Big diff.

RDV

Er.... WOW  that is a BIG diff !!
Thanks Ricky ,
Marty.

RDV

Hey Tungngruv! Build your own darlington with 2 2N5089!

RDV

nelson

here is a pic with the EBC markings for even more clarity, Being that I didnt know what the symbols meant within the transistor symbols I googled and got this.

Now I know

The Hfe with this configuration using 2N5089 is 800x800=640,000

V high

:D
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

jmusser

This is what I've been saying all along! This is a really unique effect, and really interactive with your guitar volume and tone controls, as well as pick up selection and picking styles. I had no idea that the MPSA13 had that much gain. :shock: I hadn't looked up it's data sheet. I can see now, that you'd be way out of the ball park on gain to make the octave come alive. That's why when Tungngruv said that the octave wasn't much to talk about, I knew something had to be up with the transistor choice. The up octave on this thing is sweet.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Torchy

The gain is apparently the product of the two trannies (hfe x hfe) but the saturation voltage is higher - this means a larger on-state power dissipation and the effective hfe is reduced. Its really just an emitter follower anyway.

Tim Escobedo

I suspect any medium to high gain transistor would work OK. There's no particular reason to usa a darlington. The only reason I used a MPSA13 is because it was on the bench when I made the circuit. I got a ton of them a long time ago in a surplus bargain bin. So I tend to use them a lot.

tungngruv

QuoteHey Tungngruv! Build your own darlington with 2 2N5089!
Quotehere is a pic with the EBC markings for even more clarity, Being that I didnt know what the symbols meant within the transistor symbols I googled and got this.

Thanks guys!!!! :D

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe MPSA13 is a darlington(or 2n1) transistor with a gain of about 5000

Wow. And I thought 2N5089s were high gain!