The mysterious death of two effects...

Started by john1056, May 03, 2005, 04:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john1056

This is a strange one I think.  I have two effects, one I built (a Ross compressor and a Distortion+ in one chassis) and a Barber Tone Press.  They both worked recently but now both are dead.  Both pedals have continuity between the +9v power input and ground (which explains why they don't work) with nothing pluged in (input or power).  If I plug them in to a shared power adaptor (a daisy chained One Spot) all the other effects go off too, becauase of the short.  The only that I can think of that could have killed both is another cheapo power supply that I use that's unregulated.  Any ideas?  If it was the other supply what likely got fried, the transistors?

Thanks!

gez

Did they have diode protection, the type where the diode is reverse biased across the rails?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Quote from: john1056The only that I can think of that could have killed both is another cheapo power supply that I use that's unregulated.

Do they have both have large electrolytic caps across the rails, if so what is the voltage rating?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

R.G.

Yep - it is likely to be either a reverse protection diode shorted or a power supply bypass cap shorted.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

robbiemcm

If you have a regulated power with caps across the rails and all, should you still have this protection diode in your circuits?

R.G.

Rhetorically, if you have an electrician inspect your house wiring for fire safety, do you still need fire insurance?

Yes, you still need the protection diode, because it only takes a moment for your bass player or the lead singer's girl friend to disconnect the regulated supply and connect it up to some other power supply of the wrong polarity.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

john1056

Hello, Thanks everyone for their suggestions :)  I just looked at the schematics for the Dist + and the DynaComp/Ross compress on Tonepad.  It looks like the DynaComp/Ross has a 10 uF cap across the rails.  I guess I can just desolder this part to see if it's the offendind component.  I'll have to look when I get home to see what the voltage rating is.  This was my second build, so it's very possible I used a value that's too low (sub 16 V I guess?)

Don't know about the Barber Tone Press, I'll take a closer look when I get home to see if there are diodes on the board or a large electrolitic.  The board is glued in so I'm pretty limited with what I can do to fix it myself.

I don't have diode protection on any of my pedals, can someone like me to a schematic I can look at that has the protection?

gez

Quote from: john1056Don't know about the Barber Tone Press, I'll take a closer look when I get home to see if there are diodes on the board or a large electrolitic.  The board is glued in so I'm pretty limited with what I can do to fix it myself.

I don't have diode protection on any of my pedals, can someone like me to a schematic I can look at that has the protection?

I think there's an article at Geofex on diode protection, but don't have a direct link so you'll have to rummage around a bit to find it.

Don't know anything about the 'Barber Tone Press', but it might have a reverse diode across the rails and it could well be this that is shorted.  Should be easy to trace on a board.

gez

Quote from: gezI think there's an article at Geofex on diode protection

Link at top of page for Geofex.  Go there and scroll down for 'Advanced polarity protection with MOSFETs'