RadioShack going away in Canada ...

Started by scratch, May 04, 2005, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch

I don't know how many Canadians are in here, but how many know that Radio Shack in Canada is being taken over ('Rebranded') as "The SOURCE by Cicuit City"

I just found out by going to www.radioshack.ca ...
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

The Tone God

I heard about and I still don't care. :!:

Andrew

Doug_H

One crappy store takes over another crappy store, interesting...

More flavors of crap I guess...

Doug

D Wagner

Quote from: Doug_HMore flavors of crap I guess...

:lol:

Peter Snow

I thought Radio Shack was winding down their electronic parts line, but I was in there the other day and to my surprise they now stock the ICL8038 VCO chip - it's about $15 though!

It will be interesting to see what direction the new store takes.
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.

The Tone God

Quote from: Peter SnowIt will be interesting to see what direction the new store takes.

They're being taken over by Cicuit City so I guess phones, dishes, crap, well pretty much what they do now. :P So they are going away but coming back. Kinda like that rash you had after that weird night awhile back.

Andrew

gez

Any of you lot want to take on Maplin 'Electronics'?  Please, be our guest!  :P
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Marossy

I would venture to say that no electronic parts will be available in stores after Circuit City takes over. You can always keep your fingers crossed, though...

Doug_H

Quote from: Paul MarossyI would venture to say that no electronic parts will be available in stores after Circuit City takes over. You can always keep your fingers crossed, though...

I can barely get any parts there now. Can't even get a 1M *log* pot at the local RS any more.

Doug

Paul Marossy

QuoteI can barely get any parts there now. Can't even get a 1M *log* pot at the local RS any more.

Yeah, that sucks, doesn't it?!  :x  

I pretty much don't even go there anymore.

Mark Hammer

Yeah, I saw that item too.  Perhaps the impending dissociation from the Radio Shack name will free up some possibilities that were hitherto prevented.  I'm not counting on it though.  My guess is a store increasingly dedicated to phones and home security...as if it could be any MORE dedicated to that than it is now.

Paul Marossy

QuoteMy guess is a store increasingly dedicated to phones and home security

Well, let's face it - cell phones and the like is big business. Stocking a few electronics parts like resistors and stuff is not really a money maker for them. I'm sure the first thing Circuit City will do after the takeover is look at what is not making money (or as much profit as they would like) and nix it. Bye bye electronic parts...

scratch

I used to buy all of my perfboard there, last time I was in not a single piece to be had. I'll be looking more at local vendors for the run of the mill stuff (resistors, pots, switches) and mail order for all the good bits.
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

Mark Hammer

If you are in Ottawa, Reset Electronics, out in the west end, is in the process of overhauling their facilities and extending their hours.  If you haven't tried L-Tronics on Merivale for semis yet, you may want to get their catalog.  They can get a surprising range of Japanese semiconductors at very reasonable prices...as long as you're prepared to wait.

Fret Wire

My local Radio Shack has a good selection of the long-stem 24mm Alpha's for emergencies. And seriously overpriced Led's. And that's about it.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

scratch

Thanks Mark, I don't usually go that far west ;-) (and they use to be closed on saturdays, so that didn't help) so I tended to forget about them ...
I look forward to checking them out again.
I often go to A.D.D. near Parkdale, they've just restocked their perfboard bins ;-)
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

ibanezts808

Quote from: Fret WireMy local Radio Shack has a good selection of the long-stem 24mm Alpha's for emergencies. And seriously overpriced Led's. And that's about it.

that's because even amateurs know how to mess with leds like in cars etc.  so i'm sure that is the electronic part they make the most money on.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.

Bob N

The only thing I've purchased there in the past 2 years is Ferric Chloride when I got into a pinch and needed it quickly. Outside of that, if all of the Rat Shacks disappeared, I wouldn't notice the difference... But I'm the same way with Circuit City too.

ibanezts808

all of these electronics places are terrible when it comes to prices.  I understand though, its basic economics.  If things aren't selling you need to raise your prices to compensate.  Most people would say lowering your prices is better, which lots of grocery stores do, but electronics places can't because there items aren't in high demand.  Chances are if you're in radio shack you're there to buy smething, and they have kind of a monopoly when it comes to those kinds of components, at least where I am.

But I don't believe I'd miss rat shack.  I can't wait to begin doing the online ordering.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.