Forum acting weird?

Started by jmusser, May 04, 2005, 01:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLBJR65

Trying that link NiftyDog posted I get No post mode specified
Also trying to post this reply I was sent back to the main page 3 times.
Richard Boop

niftydog

QuoteTrying that link NiftyDog posted I get No post mode specified

that's just to do with the php script. Normally you would not use that URL out of context like that.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Fret Wire

Same here with "temp unavailable post", refreshing didn't help. Then yesturday, I was getting Aron's flash intro page when I tried to post or preview.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Paul Marossy

Makes me wonder if the forum software is corrupted somehow. That or the server has some kind of glitch...

The Tone God

Quote from: Paul MarossyWhoa... what's all this talk about burning?!

Sorry. I kinda got caught up with everyone. I'm used to have things/people burned in my name for/to me. Thought I would give a suggestion. ;)

As for the problem I would say either they are running a cluster with some of the servers having problems, they are getting DDOS'd for someone else's site and we are getting the effects from that, or they have some really retarded admins that are making changes to the system during peek times. There could be a few other reasons but I doubt we will get the truth from the host.

Andrew

MartyMart

I just lost "THREE" reply's ( I hope this works )  !!
Getting a bit sick of "404" errors the last weeks or so ...  :roll:

Marty.   grrrrr !
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I thought I lost a reply just before, but when I hit foward, there was the reply, ready for me to send again (successfully).
OTOH, I had trouble getting on at all half an hour ago. OK now!

Paul Marossy

QuoteI'm used to have things/people burned in my name for/to me. Thought I would give a suggestion.

Oh, I see.  8)

robotboy

I'm pretty sure that this is a simple problem of MaxClients being set to low in the Apache (webserver) httpd.conf configuration file. Whoever admins the webserver can probably just raise the value of MaxClients and do an apachectl restart, and I believe the problem will go away.

The Tone God

Quote from: robotboyI'm pretty sure that this is a simple problem of MaxClients being set to low in the Apache (webserver) httpd.conf configuration file. Whoever admins the webserver can probably just raise the value of MaxClients and do an apachectl restart, and I believe the problem will go away.

That might explain the 503s but not the 404s and other errors. Also the errors seem to change from 404, to 503, to other errors. It doesn't sound like a simple bandwidth mangement configuration problem. Besides apache usually gives an error explaining the MaxClient issue atleast in some version it does.

Still feels like a messed up cluster/load balance system to me. They do have mod_bwlimited installed and the server(s) got rebooted 9 days ago which is close to the time frame of all our issues starting up.

Andrew

ethrbunny

Could it be a DNS error? That would give you a 404. I would 'dig' it but its a bit tough to reproduce.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

The Tone God

Quote from: ethrbunnyCould it be a DNS error? That would give you a 404. I would 'dig' it but its a bit tough to reproduce.

Doubt it. It takes a response from the server to get a 404 which means the name is resolving. If it was a DNS issue you would no response what so ever. It could be a DDOS attack occuring. That would cause spardic loss of service both in the bandwidth usage and response but not the file not founderror. Thats what leads me to belive its a set of miss-configured web server(s) on the load balancer.

It like some of the web servers we not configure similarly or mirrored properly some not all of them have the content in sync so as people make requests every once and awhile you hit the bad server(s) then after a few attempts you get shifted to another server that is working properly. The forum is not being affect because it probably running on a seperate database server(s) so the data is safe its just the web server front end is having trouble.

Once again a host will almost never admit when they have problems especially if it is because of something on their own part. I'm sure they must have been informed by other site they host of problems so they should be aware of it. Piss poor service I say if that is the case.

Andrew

ethrbunny

True. A 404 implies that the web server has connected but that the page can't be found.

Silly me.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

aron

I will point them to this thread.

puretube

niftydog

hmmm... not so sure it's over.

I'm now geting logged off without requesting it. So far I've had to log in four times in the last ten minutes.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

moosapotamus

Much, much, much better faster for me. 8)

Thank you!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

maximee

yup it works just the way it should!
thanks for fixing it!  :P

petemoore

I din't post anything about the numerous problems.
 ...But MARKE'D Improvement...works perfect and fast so far today !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jmusser

As of now, everthing seems to be back to normal. Thanks Aron!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".