This is some crazy pot

Started by ExpAnonColin, May 04, 2005, 08:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

I'm repair a DL4, the mix knob is messed up.  When comparing it to a working DL4, it is definitely messed up. But the resistance range doesn't make sense, it goes from 0ohms to 3k back to 1.3k or so over the sweep of the pot and changes drastically when the  pedal is powered.  So I guess it must be a digital encoder.  I still need to replace it, should I try calling Line 6 for a direct replacement or can anyone give me any part tips?  I can give voltages, resistances, whatever works.

Cheers

-Colin

niftydog

you're measuring it in circuit? Otherwise, it could be cactus. Digital encoders generally have nothing to do with resistance at all.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you are measuring it in-circuit, you cant say whether it is the pot or something connected to it.
Even if you compare it with another unit.

ExpAnonColin

Yeah, in circuit... and you're right.  Shoot.  This is going to be a pain to get out.

I wish there was a DL4 schematic floating aroundbut I'm not going to embarass myself by asking.

-Colin

niftydog

sometimes you can get lucky...

desolder the pins and carefully ensure they are not making contact with the solder pads or the vias. This only works if the through-holes are sufficiently large so as to allow some wiggle room between them and the pins.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: niftydogsometimes you can get lucky...
desolder the pins and carefully ensure they are not making contact with the solder pads or the vias. This only works if the through-holes are sufficiently large so as to allow some wiggle room between them and the pins.

I've never been that lucky, though Lord knows I've tried!
I just cut thru 2 of the legs, do the testing, & then solder the legs back together (possibly with a bit of wire for bracing) if the pot looks good. If the pot looks bad, then out it all comes! :x

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
Quote from: niftydogsometimes you can get lucky...

I've never been that lucky, though Lord knows I've tried!
I just cut thru 2 of the legs, do the testing, & then solder the legs back together (possibly with a bit of wire for bracing) if the pot looks good. If the pot looks bad, then out it all comes! :x

That was my method last night. I've replaced it, albeit with some really low-spec pots, so it doesn't work quite right.

-Colin