DIY Akai Unibass.

Started by nelson, May 05, 2005, 01:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Do you guys think this pedal is do-able on a diy level? using various analog effects?

http://filters.muziq.be/model/akai/unibass

It has distortion, octave up, a 5th above or a 4th below the octave sound seperate out for distortion/octave up and an out for clean bass signal.
it allows clean octave up.
you have the option of sending it all to one bass amp, or sending only the octave up/4th below/5th above to a guitar amp.

sounds like a useful tool for bass And a great project.

What circuits could be combined/played with to achieve this effect?

I was thinking of the bass paralooper to begin with.

Any ideas? :?:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Jaicen_solo

ERmm, I'm not 100% on this but I believ that the Uni-bass is a digital FX unit.
Probably not diy-able.

*b

loki

yes, it's digital, like the AKAI Deep Impact

nelson

I know its a digital effect, I am thinking it would be possible to make a workalike out of analog circuitry.

I dont think the 4th above and fifth below the octave sound will be possible with analog circuitry.

A bass distortion, an octave up, and a mixer circuit. all in one.

I think its possible, I am just looking for ideas. Possible circuits to join together.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Jaicen_solo

Ah, Ok then yes it is possible.

I've just designed a synth sounding Bass fuzz with a blend feature for a client. That has an octave up function, similar to the rambler on the circuit snippets site.

Works a treat.

*b

nelson

The interesting thing about the circuit, is the ability to route the octave up/distortion signal to a seperate amp, while allowing the clean signal to pass onto a bass amp.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

seanm

Quote from: nelsonI know its a digital effect, I am thinking it would be possible to make a workalike out of analog circuitry.

I dont think the 4th above and fifth below the octave sound will be possible with analog circuitry.

A bass distortion, an octave up, and a mixer circuit. all in one.

I think its possible, I am just looking for ideas. Possible circuits to join together.
I do not think the distortion is for bass, but for the octave up to make it sound more like  a guitar. As a first shot I would leave out the distortion since you can just add a distortion pedal after the effect. The distortion is suposedly the weakest link in the Unibass.

Here is my idea of a high level design:

For the buffers, see Jack Orman's Basic Buffers article. For the high pass filter: http://beis.de/Elektronik/Filter/Filter.html. You are on your own for the octave up .

nelson

After looking for a clean octave up I came across this a MOS Doubler a CMOS based clean octave up.

The page had a link to a geofex article/project, but the link was dead, does anyone have the schematic?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

seanm

Quote from: nelsonAfter looking for a clean octave up I came across this a MOS Doubler a CMOS based clean octave up.

The page had a link to a geofex article/project, but the link was dead, does anyone have the schematic?
I just tried the Mu Doubler, a newer version of the MOS Doubler. http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/jfetdoub/mudoubler.htm

nelson

I am not entirely clear if this is able to produce clean octaves, is it?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

seanm

Quote from: nelsonI am not entirely clear if this is able to produce clean octaves, is it?
No not clean octaves. I may have a mistake in the build, since I did build it very late last night, but it has a great sound to it. I may build an overdrive pedal around this. Also, I found it works better if I put a booster in front of it.

The quest for a clean octave continues....