Is this possible?

Started by critch, May 05, 2005, 04:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

critch

Hi, i have an idea, i have it semi planned out, but i wanna know if this is actually possible...
I want to change my tone control for a push pull pot, retaining the tone control, but when i pull it up i want the distortion circtuit in my back cavity to go on, and to affect both pickups, is that possible? i know i can do the distortion circuit, and fit it in btw...
and also i would like to change my jack for one of those switch jacks, to save battery when the guitar is not in use.
thanks

Andi

Quote from: critchthe distortion circtuit in my back cavity

Sorry, but this had me in stitches!

Most of the push/pull pots I've seen have had a DPDT switching section, so you could quite easily wire that up as a true bypass switch between the pickup selector and volume control that brings the distortion circuit in and out of the signal line.

critch

had you in stitches! :evil:  (EDIT) lol, i see what u mean...
and i guess, ive never really seen the workings of a push pull thats all, and i only thought about 30 mins ago that a switch is flamin needed anyway! so the push pull is in the schematics, techically...
Also, are the pot and the switch connected, or are they just made for ease and practicalitaly? i mean are they electronically connected.
thanks
PS. Its not a bad project is it, come on...my 2 year old ESP needs a spruce up  8)
heres the push pull pot im looking at: http://www.giggear.co.uk/home/index.php?m=shop&prodid=727
is that a dpdt?

Andi

Yup - from the picture I'd say that's a DPDT - every push pull I've seen has been.

The pot and switch aren't connected electrically, just mechanically. If you use distortion first in the chain, and often enough to be useful then it seems a sensible mod - might be worth looking at push/push pots too. I think they're usually more expensive but they're "easier" to work in a hurry.

critch

push push? whats different bout em?
and i do think its a sensible mod, it will be good when i use pathetics amps will little or no distortion.
And i did notice it was dpdt, i used windows magnifier  :D
And for the pots, what are those mini-user preset thingys? the ones i need to sdet with a screwdriver or summat, there is not enough room for proper pots in the cavity.
thanks

JimRayden

1) with push-pull you've got to push the pot to switch it and then pull it to switch it back. With push-push, you just push it to swith and then push it again to switch back.

2) they're called trimpots (short for trimmer potentiometer).

---------
Jimbo

critch

i have a trimmer infront of me atm, i assume the three pins are the three lugs? it has this sort of formation:
 I
I  I

and push push sound much easier, for when im on-stage, recording etc, but i guess then i would use a pedal if i needed such a quick switch...
thanks
ps. what do u lot reckon to changing my tone control for the push pull pot, but not having it as a tone anymore, but instead as a gain control...
btw, i have only got 1 volume and 1 tone control in total