Interesting Ibanez Phaser/Flanger?

Started by MartyMart, May 05, 2005, 05:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I've never heard of this one before ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22669&item=7320847900&rd=1

Very "Retro"  !!
Anyone know something more about it ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Fret Wire

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/1001/

http://filters.muziq.be/model/maxon/first/jl70

There used to be a site with pics and descriptions of all the old large box Ibanez fx. I can't seem to find it now.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

puretube

the recent issue of "Gitarre & Bass" (germany may `05) has the following to say:

"It included an 8-stage phaser (FETs with feedback; overall feedback across the complete allpass-chain)....
From the input signal an envelope-signal was deducted...
A VU-meter visually showed the envelope...
With the envelope, the amplitude of an internal noise-generator could be controlled, which could be gradually mixed into the phaser-input...
This way, a dynamically acting noise-level was added to the guitar signal.
The guitar, now furnished with a noise-floor, was really being kneaded through the phaser, especially when a distortion had been put before this box, to provide enough harmonics.
This really sounded like a jetplane - they did have some weird ideas, back then..."

Mark Hammer

That was actually a fairly common "noise solution" in the old days.  A noise gate was included in the A/DA Flanger (never seen the Final Phase but a noise gate wouldn't surprise me) and also in the Boss CE-1 Chorus.  I think I've seen it elsewhere as well.

While noise gates can often deliver an unplesant stutter or chop off the start or end of notes, that problem is really only a major problem if it interrupts the entire signal.  In the case of these various modulation pedals, the clean signal remains on all the time, whether bypassed, gated or not.  As a result, the gate could be applied to the delayed portion of the signal to clean up any residual hiss or clock noise during the quiet passages.  If it cut off the onset or tail of a note you would not perceive it as such because the clean version of the same note came through loud and clear.  So, the effect of the gate was to make the effect come in a few milliseconds after you started playing, and make the effect cut out a few milliseconds before the note had really fully decayed.

As for the "jetplane" aspect, ANY phaser or flanger or other type of comb filter (phasers are really more like a fork than a comb, though  :lol: ) will sound more intense and dramatic if processing a distorted signal or something with lots of treble content, like white noise.  The reason for this is that the notches are much less audible when the sweep up to where there isn't much treble to filter out.  Consequently, both the Jetlyser, and the Roland/Boss Jet Phaser (was that AP-5 or AP-7?) included switch selectable distortion circuits, which would make the effect sound more intense.

Note that, since clipping circuits compress the signal and also add noise due to their higher gain, it helps to have the sidechain/envelope-follower that controls the gate be driven by the *clean* input signal, rather than simply recommending to plunk a fuzzbox before the phaser.  In other words, the inclusion of a distortion circuit was integrated into the design and use of the noise gate circuit in these pedals.

puretube

to be more clear: the guy in the mag sez:

a built-in distinct noise-generator`s noise can be added to the guitar sig as a second sound source;
The amount of noise is controlled by the envelope, and the level of this VCA-controlled noise can be dialed in...
:?