duncan tone stack calc... power supplies

Started by vdm, September 04, 2003, 08:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdm

hello all,

i was reading a post a little while ago, and it reminded me of the program i had on my computer - the duncan tone stack calculator.

now basically i have wanted to make an 'always on' secondary tone stack to set on my amp. so i was looking at how this should be done, and I can read the schematic and understand the tone stack, but I don't know where the guitar input should be, and i don't know where/if i need to run power to a certain part of the circuit.

if anyone has any thoughts on how this works i'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance

trent

Mike Burgundy

the tone stack as shown in its various forms in Duncans sim is a passive circuit - no power needed. Drawback of that is that you lose a lot of dB - up to 20dB.
So you need something to compensate for that, plus, a tonestack likes to be fed by a lo-Z source, and likes to feed  a high-Z stage itself. I wouldn't run a guitar straight into a tone stack - well, why not? But it wouldn't yield "normal" resuslts.
The Zsrc is the actual input (Z-source). Input is hooked up between mass and signal lines, and taken from out - the load resistor is the input Z of the next stage.
The way to go would be either to drop it into an existing circuit, with an extra amp stage behind to compensate for the loss, or to use a "complete building block" comprising of a buffer, eq, and regenerating amp. The amps, ofcourse, will need power.

Nasse

I remember noticing too that circuits in D Tone Stack calculator are drawn so that if you are not familiar with circuits you always can not see where to connect input and output. But you can always find all those classic Fender, Vox and Marshall tube amp circuits in net and look there how and where tone circuit is connected. And some effect circuits in Aron´s archives and elsewhere use passive tone stacks, so looking trough there may help.
  • SUPPORTER