BBD chips and delay

Started by jbm222, May 06, 2005, 01:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbm222

I would like to build an analog delay pedal, but can't seem to find any BBD chips with enough stages... visual sound is making 1024 stage ones for choruses and stuff, but i need 4096 to get a useful delay time

anyone know where i can get them?

sean k

Small Bear for the MN3005
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

radio

Hello

had that topic with we from Mek and I still don't know if

there are reasons to do more clocks to be able to do different

delay typs,for instance reverse delay ,echo or flanging

by rotary switch lets say 6position. I m aware this could

cause the circuit NOT to be available for Hammond C

but as I plan a higher symetric voltage its almost bound

to get a box of is own on the guitar amp

Thanks for any response!

Greetings JME
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Dan N

The Ibanez AD-900 uses 2 3101 for 2 3005's and it does not even do anything fancy like flange or whatever.

Mark Hammer

IMHO, at this point, there is probably very little reason NOT to go with a digital delay chip if your intent is to build something from scratch.  They are simple to work with....now....and yield terrific value for the money.  Where it would likely cost you $30-50US in parts to squeeze 600msec of delay from an all analog system these days, the same thing can be easily done with a Princeton or Mitsubishi chip for a fraction of that, and with more delay time available too.  See the PT-80 project over at generalguitargadgets for a tried and tested example.  It will provide approximately the same delay time as a pair of MN3208's or an MN3005.

Yeah, I suppose there is probably some audible difference between BBD and digital chips under certain listening circumstances, but quite honestly most players will never ever hear it under the typical usage circumstances.  If studio use is your intention, then sure, go for the nuances.  If your intention is to have a fuzzed line repeat itself while gigging at the local bar(and this is not a BAD thing), then I doubt that digital chips will take anything away from your tone.

Personally, I'd rather see folks make an effort towards conserving BBDs for the repair of vintage devices, whenever possible.  That doesn't mean I want to *prevent* their usage, but obviously one has much greater latitude in parts selection when building from scratch than when repairing an existing device that requires a certain part, and as a courtesy to those attempting to keep stompbox heritage alive, I would personally give them "first dibs".  If, at this point  BBDs were soooooooo much better than the available digital chips, that would be one thing, but like I say, unless one is aiming for critical listening situations, like a studio device, the audible difference is negligible and often a result of aspects of the design beyond the actual delay chip used.  If the requirements of a pedal were that much more extensive with digital, such that $30 of other components were necessary to make use of a $5 digital chip instead of an easy-to-use $15 BBD, then I'd recommend the BBD.  At this point, though, there is little reason not to go digital for unmodulated delays.  If you were aiming for a chorus or flanger, however, I'd recommend BBD.

puretube

...concerning conserving the 3005s (and SAD`s, and TDA`s) and other exotic chips:
fully agreed with saving them for repair & historic purposes!!!  8)

as far as MN/BL 3207/3208 concerns: go! build! experiment! develop new stuff! (all you young dudes...)  :wink:

nelson

There is a demand for these exotic chips and my understanding is that you can get chips built to order, if so why dont retailers just group together and commission a large newly made order of SAD1024's or similar exotic chips? I could think of a few retailers who sell them, if they grouped together it may be economically viable.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

puretube

yeah - that`s the way to go -
the karaoke-industry grouped together with the toy manufacturers, because they needed millions of "reverb"-chips for the far eastern market -
that`s how the 3207/-8 survived...

Toney

Other than audio delays, are there any other common or not-so-common devices using BBD chips that would be a good sources for recycling ? :?: ...

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: puretube2 x BL3208 ... :
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Search.bok?category=ICs+Delays+and+Echo

or:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=247

Smallbear has these for quite some time, I cannot understand why it takes people, especially thise who visit here and most likely know smallbear's exeistence, so extremely long to adapt them.

I agree with Mark Hammer on the audiologic part of BBD vs Digital. However, as Puretube states, with the Belling BBD's the price is not the greatest concern anymore. After that there's a wealth of circuits developed for BBD's already to explore. MN30xx can be easily adapted to MN32** style. (Something I did when experimenting with the analog harmonizer circuit om Mark Hammers page (still got to fix a timing error though).

When designing with the available chips like the PT's I felt somewhat limited in the way's to apply them.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

puretube

forgive the guy that posted this thread,
by looking at his "joined" date...  :)

Dirk_Hendrik

Just wondering,
first,
In the past pictures have been posted of those Visual Sound Chips which do show the Visual sound logo.

secondly
When going to the Maxon page this is what's read:
Quote from: Maxon.co.jp
Maxon was able to source a completely different manufacturer of analog BBD's

Now we look at the inside (and don't we love that 4pdt :wink: ) and see the BBD chips stamped with a Maxon Logo:

and as third,
Maxon reissued this delay at the time a certain Chinese manufacturer named Belling started making BBD's again.

Concluding:
Would't it happen to be that these VS and Maxon BBD's are OEM versions of the Belling(.co.cn) manufacture?
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

puretube

ja zeker!

binnenkort krijg je ook "puretube-007" (en 008)  :lol:

nelson

Look at all those trimpots  :o
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

radio

Are these BBDs Amsterdamned

asbelift

JME