R.O.G./Torchy Ult. Tube Reamer build report

Started by tungngruv, May 06, 2005, 09:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

I put this together yesterday using Torchy's layout for vero. Fired right up and it sounds amazing. I really like the tone of an OD 250 with the gain on about 10:00 and the level on 2:00 (clean boost?) and this sounds better than about everything I've built, as far as an overdrive effect, including the YJM308 clone. The clipping switch is nice and the low end switch works really well. Instead of the 500K trim pot (feedback resistor), I wired up a 500K pot to the outside of the box so between that and the gain knob, I'm able to dial in a really wide range of overdrive adjusting the two pots. Also, the "null" control, which Torchy claims is subtle has a nice control over the quality of the gain. Pretty usefull. The "sweet" switch is the treble enhancement and that switch is the one I don't hear a big difference in, although I haven't checked yet but I may have something wrong (I did sub a .047uf instead of the .033, that's all I had). All in all, the Tube Reamer from R.O.G. really kills in front of a tube amp and the Ultimate Tube Reamer is all of that and more. Thanks to RunOffGroove and Torchy, great job guys!! :D

Torchy

:D

I think I eventually used 2x 33nF for the treble switch ...

tungngruv

I don't have 1 (let alone 2) 33nf's. :(  On the original UTR schematic, there are two different values for the sweet switch. Are two different values needed or would 2x 44nf's give a treble cut or boost effect?

lowstar

hi folks,
would increasing c1 be better for use with bass guitar ? usually i use 0.22 uF to 1 uF for that, but since 10nF is so small, what i wanted to say, do the same rules apply here ? (so c1 and r1 form a high-pass filter, right ?)
or i could add one more input cap and make it switchable (via spst - c1 alone or c1+c2)

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100