Ibanez DE7 -> Hybrid.

Started by vajhoj, May 06, 2005, 02:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vajhoj

Hey there.

Is it posible to modify my Ibanez DE7, so that when effect is on you have an analog out and only the delay/echo is digital. A kind of hybrid pedal.

The only pedal I know of that can to this is the Carl Martin Delayla XL.

I know it's a strange mod, but I just love the echo-sounds ion this pedal, but I dislike that my groundsignal is being digitalised.

Thanx

Michael
Guitarist from Denmark

cd

What makes you think the DE7 is not doing this already?

vajhoj

Quote from: cdWhat makes you think the DE7 is not doing this already?

Simple:
Guitar -> Amp (mmm....)
Guitar -> DE7 -> Amp (not as much mmm....)

In other words. In my ears the pedal colurs my signal a bit.

/Michael
Guitarist from Denmark

Greybeard

That doesn't mean the straight sound is being digitized, that can happen just through the audio portion of the pedal.

Greybeard

cd

Quote from: vajhoj

Simple:
Guitar -> Amp (mmm....)

/Michael

That doesn't mean the straight signal is being digitized.  I haven't looked inside one, but chances are it's like 99% of other digital delays out there - in bypass mode the delayed signal is switched out of the signal path, and the straight signal goes through a couple of opamps.

Sounds like you need a true bypass looper box.

JimRayden

I think what he ment was that if the effect is on, you get the straight guitar signal plus echo, instead of a digital guitar signal plus echo. Bypass is surely undigital.

-----------
Jimbo

vajhoj

Quote from: cd

Simple:
Guitar -> Amp (mmm....)

/Michael

That doesn't mean the straight signal is being digitized.  I haven't looked inside one, but chances are it's like 99% of other digital delays out there - in bypass mode the delayed signal is switched out of the signal path, and the straight signal goes through a couple of opamps.

Sounds like you need a true bypass looper box.

No no. I don't think you understand my question.

I want it to have a analog groundsignal when the effect is on.  So that when I hid the effect my normal signal is "still" on, but the effectsignal are the only on being digitalised...

Correct me if I'm not making myself clear.

I know this "little" trink can be done with a line mixer, but is it not posible to take the ground signal when effect is on, and make this a true analog signal, less than a digitalsignal?

/Michael
Guitarist from Denmark

vajhoj

Quote from: JimRaydenI think what he ment was that if the effect is on, you get the straight guitar signal plus echo, instead of a digital guitar signal plus echo. Bypass is surely undigital.

-----------
Jimbo

Just that!
Guitarist from Denmark

cd

Quote from: JimRaydenI think what he ment was that if the effect is on, you get the straight guitar signal plus echo, instead of a digital guitar signal plus echo. Bypass is surely undigital.

-----------
Jimbo

Just that!

Which brings me back to my first point, HOW DO YOU KNOW that the dry guitar signal goes through the A>D process???  You're making a vague assumption based on your ears.   When "on", the way most digital delays work is like this:

guitar signal>buffer > pre-emphasis filter split to (1) de-emphasis filter (also output mixer) OR (2) low pass filter > delay line > low pass filter > de-emphasis filter (also output mixer) > amp

When "off", you get:

guitar signal>buffer>pre-emphasis filter>de-emphasis filter>amp

The BYPASS is NOT going through any A>D at all.  If that's the case, there is likely no way the DRY signal (when in effect ON mode) is going through the A>D either.  Complete waste of resources.