DS-1 clipping diodes

Started by pnak, May 07, 2005, 01:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnak

I just Modded another ds-1 and put LED's
in for D4 and D5. It sounds
good but what is the best combo to
get more of a tubey tone from this pedal?

ninoman123

pnak

Thats not quite the response I was looking for

but you do have a knak for pointing out the  the obvious.

Is there any other suggestions, I could use some help here.

aron

These mods are all subjective, but, go to my home page (it's up there on the top) and choose my simple mods page. You will find suggestions for different diodes and arrangements to get a different and perhaps more "tube-like" tone.

ninoman123

It all depends on what else you are using. Your amp, speakers, guitar, I have a few different guitars and amps and my DS-1 sounds different through all of them. I was being sarcastic because there is no way to tell you which diodes would give you a certain sound because it will always sound different.  Its DIY stompboxes so...do it yourself and see what makes it sound tubey.  Experiment.

pnak

I have some transistors i found in

an old circuit board . they are numbered

2n7000 and 2n394 can i use these for clipping diodes.

TheBigMan

My personal preference is for germanium diodes in the DS-1.  Mine has two 1N34As in it.

WGTP

I'll offer a suggestion.  I have experiimented extensively with diodes and suggest you try either 1 or 2 SI's with 1 LED, or a GE or 2 with an SI or LED.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

SnooP_Wiggles

i like 1 GE + 1SI the best on mine. Same with boss sd-1

positives:
More distortion
less of that silicon buzz more germanium tube-like hair/fuzz
more mids than LED + si

negatives:
reduced (slightly) pick sensitivity (sound is more compressed)

pnak

ARE you guys connecting these in series or parallel.

Mojah63

Quote from: pnakARE you guys connecting these in series or parallel.

YES       Seriously...  Some people will just lift one end of one diode and connect a Ge diode in series, some will pull out the diode and put another in its place maybe a ge or a rectifier diode, pull bolth put in two leds ect ect... There are no rules but your ears...
Paul

So many circuits, So little time

petemoore

There's the DS-1 way, then there's the other ways.
 The diode part I even forget...oh ... two Si's one way one the other,,,wait, may be it's just one si either way, either way it'll work.
 Also the clipping rolloff cap makes alot of difference in the clipped tone.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

pnak

I have put a 1n34a in series with an LED in D4 and left the other Led in
D5 and im starting to like it. Maybe a cap in parralel across both to smooth it out .

WGTP

Your clipping threshold is going to be pretty high with LED's, around 1.8 volts.  Using a combination of SI's and GE's will lower it for a different feel and more distortion, but whatever you like is what's right.  There are also options for switching.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Steben

and you can always place a resistor in series with each diode to ground.
this will make it more overdrive than distortion.
But these mods only work in lower gains, since all "really high" gains sound the same when switching only diodes not EQ.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them