controlling volume on distortion pedal

Started by shwnstr, May 07, 2005, 10:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shwnstr

I've got kind of a wierd question for ya.

I have a few distortion pedals (DS-1 modded, MT-2modded, Danelectro D-1) and I can't use the output pot past "1". It seems that there must be some way to restrict the output signal to get me a little more control, but I don't know where to start. I usually run my guitar volume wide open, (for a good strong signal into the amp, It seems to sound better that way). The signal coming out of my dist. boxes is either none or LOUD! Does anyone have any advice? Maybe a resistor somewhere in the cirquit right before the level pot or something? I'm at a loss.

ninoman123

K be a little more specific. Which mods did you do the DS-1 and MT-2...usually mods dont change the output that much, unless u changed clipping diodes to LEDs which even then should make the box usuable past 1.

shwnstr

The mods that I did both required a diode change to an LED, so yes , that did increase the output quite a bit.  Sorry for the lack of detail in the first post.  These mods did improve the sound, so I like them, but I'm just hoping I can gain a little more control of the output pot.  I hope that info helps.

p.s. by output, I mean the volume out.  I can go crazy with the gain knob, that's OK. I hope I'm not being retardedly obvious.

ninoman123

LEDs do that to a circuit.  Ok...heeeeeeeeeres what u could try....a volume put has 3 lugs. Which I assume u know this.  Fine the wire that goes from the output of the circuit to a lug on the volume pot.  One will go to your output jack, one will come from the circuit and one will go to ground.  Grab the one that goes from the circuit.  Now ull want to add a resistor inline with that wire and the lug of the pot.  Try out different values to see which one gives u most control.  This resistor will knock down the volume before it gets to the pot. ALSO you could try adding a resistor across lugs 1 and 3 of the volume pot. This will lower the value of the pot.  I suggest adding some solid core wires to those lugs and using a breadboard, otherwise ur gonna be doing A LOT of soldering.  Hope this helps. If one value resistor doesnt work keep trying.  It might take awhile. Someone else might be able to give u EXACT information but these are some things u can try if they dont.

shwnstr

ninoman123
Thanks for the quick reply.  That sounds feasable, I will give this a try.
Thanks again for the quick reply.

Shawn.

smccusker

I have a similar problem, I built a tychobrahe octavia, but I used different trannies in it, and this thing is LOUD. But, Im reticent about putting a reistor across the output because
a) I want to keep the insane gainey sound, and wont putting a resitor in be the same effect as turning the volume on the pedal down? Which, I don't think sounds as good. And,
b) I play a tele, so I really don't want to lose any bottom end out of the signal, othewise it will be just too trebley.

Anyone have any advice?
Guitar -> Amp

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

smssuscer, if you adjust the level of the output pot, and the pot really is at the 'end' of the electronics in the fx, then anything you do won't change the 'quality' of the sound. Just make the level lower, if you put the resistor in series with the line going to the output pot, as ninoman123 says.

puretube

smccusker

Quote from: puretubelog (audio-taper) pot...
There is already a 500k audio pot in it, but when I turn it down it changes the tone of the signal, and I suspect putting a resistor in will have the same effect, but I'll give it a shot.
Guitar -> Amp

puretube

if this is the circuit:
http://www.godiksennet.com/images/sch/DS1PG2.jpg,
it has a 100k level pot...

down all the way, 500k possibly does sound different (hi-loss?)...

[now i`m gonna start a search for schems of the other boxes...]

puretube

if this is the circuit for mt-2:
http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home/index.htm,
it will also sound duller, if 500k instead of 50k pot is used...

smccusker

Quote from: puretubeif this is the circuit for mt-2:
http://web.tiscali.it/boxsmt2clone2005home/index.htm,
it will also sound duller, if 500k instead of 50k pot is used...

I was actually talking about the tychobrahe octavia, not about a modded DS1.
sorry for the confusion.
Guitar -> Amp

puretube

maybe a small cap (47p...470p) from wiper to cw end will help conserve the "sound", when turned downward...

smccusker

Guitar -> Amp

smccusker

I added a 4m7 resistor in line with the output, and its down to a much more manageble level, but I dont think it sounds as bright, which is odd, because I expected it to loose bottom.
Anyway, either my ears are playing tricks on me, or my battery is getting old or something.
Guitar -> Amp

Ripper

I did the led mod to both my mt-2 and my md-2, it did increase the output some but I still have lots of control. I wonder why the difference?

Ripper

I did the led mod to both my mt-2 and my md-2, it did increase the output some but I still have lots of control. I wonder why the difference?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: smccuskerI added a 4m7 resistor in line with the output, and its down to a much more manageble level, but I dont think it sounds as bright, which is odd, because I expected it to loose bottom.  

That is quite likely, there is probably some stray capacitance across the pot asssembly. Try say 20pF (or maybe less, experiment) across the 4M7.
Actually, this might be the only time in your life you can use a trimmer cap from an old radio in an audio tone control!!  :wink:

smccusker

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)That is quite likely, there is probably some stray capacitance across the pot asssembly. Try say 20pF (or maybe less, experiment) across the 4M7.
Actually, this might be the only time in your life you can use a trimmer cap from an old radio in an audio tone control!! :wink:
When you say across, do you mean in parallel with the resistor? or series?
Thanks for the tip though!
Guitar -> Amp

puretube