Torchy MXR 45/Vibe build report

Started by tungngruv, May 09, 2005, 12:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

Got all the parts in from Small Bear Saturday, vero'd it up this morning and finished all the wiring about an hour ago. I need to go through the 10 trannies I bought to find a good pair that work together but decided to plug the first two I grabbed in just to see if it partially worked. To my amazement, not only did it work the first try but it sounds amazing, really!! The mix control adds depth and actually sounds like some detuning at some settings, the speed knob (500K audio taper) works but I might swap it for a linear, all the speed adjustments seem to be in the last quarter of the rotation. Also, the bias pot really allows you to fine tune the "swirl". Now for the good part: I swear I can get a real good pulsing Univibe effect, and with the mix knob you can even get the detuning (not drastic, but hardly subtle) sounds along with the pulsing effect. Really cool!! Also, I am also hearing some of a "chorus" effect with the phase on and adjusting the bias and mix pots. I can't believe I built this, let alone just actually having such a cool pedal again!!  I'll post pics and sounds in a few days, but until then: Thanks to this forum, Torchy :!:  and the J.C. guy who came up with the "vibe" mod. This thing rocks!!!!!! :D

MartyMart

That's great  :D
Sounds "beautiful" doesn't it ?
The linear pot will help a bit, though adjustments are still quite "fine" its
a bit less "bunched up"

Painting mine up this week !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Torchy

8)

Kicks the ***** out of my Easyvibes  :shock:

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

Quote from: tungngruvthe speed knob (500K audio taper) works but I might swap it for a linear, all the speed adjustments seem to be in the last quarter of the rotation.
To cure that problem you'll need a 500K reverse audio taper pot.  That should take that range that's bunched up in the last bit of rotation and smear it out nicely ;)

Small Bear sells 16mm 500KC pots :)

I'm about to build the Univibed Phase 45 myself using a modified version of FP's circuit board.

Phillip

Eb7+9

Thank-you Torchy for doing such an amazing job with the Layout and making  this project more accessible ...

~jc

Torchy

:oops:
Thanks - glad to help  :wink: