dumb question - pot labeling on schematics

Started by Hal, May 09, 2005, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

On the Run off groove schematics, and torchy's veroboard layouts, I see pots labeled as "100k-A" or "100k-B."  I've assumed that the A is for audio (log), so B as to be linear...is this right?  if so, why b?

Marek

There are two nomenclatures for Pots:

1. European
2. Asian/American

Europeans tend to call linear pots "A" and logarithmic "B", where

Asian/American manufacturers have "B" for linear and "A" for logarithmic.

European: Piher, Radiohm
Asian/American: all others :-)

Greetings,
MArek

Hal

wowie that _is_ confusing.

Guess it wasn't such a dumb question.

Is it ok to assume that all schematics I see are of the american/asian model?

robbiemcm

I expect the store you buy the pots from will make sure it's clear what you're buying though

MartyMart

Yeah, that one can catch you out !!  :wink:
When ordering pots I'm carefull to be clear about "linear" and "logarithmic" trying to avoid the "A" "B" confusion.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

cab42

I don't think the question is stupid, I have asked it myself  :lol:

I have almost given up the A's and B's on schematic and are using this rule of thumb: For level and volume I buy logarithmic, for all others I buy linear.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am going to order pots for five effects in a few days.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

MartyMart

Quote from: cab42I don't think the question is stupid, I have asked it myself  :lol:

I have almost given up the A's and B's on schematic and are using this rule of thumb: For level and volume I buy logarithmic, for all others I buy linear.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I am going to order pots for five effects in a few days.

Regards

Carsten

Its a "personal taste" thing, but I find using linear pots for everything
works well for me these days.
I always find "Log" pots to be too "bunched up" at one end !!
I just prefer the "even" increment of a linear pot.
My 2c worth !

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Hal

Quote from: MartyMart
Quote from: cab42I don't think the question is stupid, I have asked it myself  :lol:

Regards

Carsten

Its a "personal taste" thing, but I find using linear pots for everything
works well for me these days.
I always find "Log" pots to be too "bunched up" at one end !!
I just prefer the "even" increment of a linear pot.
My 2c worth !

Marty.

I plan on doing an English Channel soon, and they have "a" (I think audio) Listed for everything - including the tone stack...