News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Hey - a TZP!

Started by Vsat, May 10, 2005, 12:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsat

Hmmm....this is a through-zero phaser...among other things!!

http://home.comcast.net/~sbernardi/elec/og2/og3_dualphaser.html

Cheers, Mike

puretube

Mark Hammer

Not sure how I missed this one, or Scott Bernardi's site redesign, but  :D  :D

...and believe me, I *need* a  :D  :D right about now.  Just got off the phone with the guy at the garage who informed me the brakes on my car (which failed yesterday in the middle of rush hour traffic) are essentially irreparable.  :cry:  :cry:

puretube

Mark: I always thought you`re "bussing"...

StephenGiles

There is still something drastically wrong here, it took almost 3 minutes for this page to load and we have a broadband connection.

Hi Mike, yes I have seen this one before but lost the link, thanks very much, and there's a load of interesting stuff on his site.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

Quote from: puretubeMark: I always thought you`re "bussing"...

Normally, I do, but while attending government language school on the outskirts of the city, where parking is free and buses are painfully slow, I take my car.  Not tonight, though.  I lost 90% of my brake fluid in a matter of a kilometre or so last night when the brake line sprung a leak.  Luckily, the scenic parkway I take home had very light traffic last night.  I had to drive about 2-3km (at about 15km/hr wth my flashers on) to find the first turnoff and let gravity and friction bring the car to a stop.  A buddy spotted me a lift to an auto parts outlet where I bought a litre of brake fluid, filled the fluid reservoir up well past the full line, and *slowly* brought the car from where I had left it to a garage about 1.5km away, during which time the fluid had drained about 50%.  I was expecting an $800 repair bill, but just found out that the repair would require a valve which is obsolete (and could cost $650 on its own.....if it were available).  Looks like Marky's toys are going to have to defer to either some hefty repair bills or the cost of another vehicle.  Boy, do I *ever* miss the bus!  Fortunately, training shouldn't last more than another month.....which is juuuuuuuust a little faster than the load-up times for the site these days.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: puretubeMark: I always thought you`re "bussing"...

Normally, I do, but while attending government language school on the outskirts of the city, where parking is free and buses are painfully slow, I take my car.  Not tonight, though.  I lost 90% of my brake fluid in a matter of a kilometre or so last night when the brake line sprung a leak.  Luckily, the scenic parkway I take home had very light traffic last night.  I had to drive about 2-3km (at about 15km/hr wth my flashers on) to find the first turnoff and let gravity and friction bring the car to a stop.  A buddy spotted me a lift to an auto parts outlet where I bought a litre of brake fluid, filled the fluid reservoir up well past the full line, and *slowly* brought the car from where I had left it to a garage about 1.5km away, during which time the fluid had drained about 50%.  I was expecting an $800 repair bill, but just found out that the repair would require a valve which is obsolete (and could cost $650 on its own.....if it were available).  Looks like Marky's toys are going to have to defer to either some hefty repair bills or the cost of another vehicle.  Boy, do I *ever* miss the bus!  Fortunately, training shouldn't last more than another month.....which is juuuuuuuust a little faster than the load-up times for the forum these days.

Vsat

Driving without brakes most definitely not recommended... throw a bike in the back... and make sure the brakes on the bike work too. Or at least have refreshments tucked away and a book to read for when you are waiting for a tow.
Mike

Ben N

Mark:

Oh, that hurts--been there, too.  A couple of summers ago I was in rural Pensylvania, driving a carload of my kids' things (and my Strat and DR) home from summer camp, when, as I apprached a red light, the brake pedal just lost all resistance and went down to the floor.  Luckily, I was on an incline, so between gravity, downshifting, the emergency brake and a left turn lane that was conveniently open next to the truck I was about to hit, I managed to stop the car safely and then maneuver it into a parking lot to wait for a tow.  It was a master cylinder that, thankfully, I was able to replace.  But besides the cost of the repair, I was also down a car rental home and back (to pick the car up two days later).

As it happens, that very car finally gave up the ghost last week--transmission just had a massive coronary, possibly taking the engine with it, and my mechanic says, "You can't keep sinking any more $$ in this car."  As of now, it sits in my driveway like a scarecrow.

Now I am thankful for the bus, too!

Enjoy your new wheels.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

octafish

When I was young and foolish, (I'm old and foolish now) I had a car with a leaky valve in the master cylinder. It started quite slow and being an idiot I did not get it repaired straigt away but just pumped the brakes and it worked fine. I guess it got worse but I just automatically compensated more and more pumping of the brakes. Then one night I walked home from the city with a friend (we had intended to drink but ended up calling it an early night). We got to my place and he still had along way to go so he asked to borrow the car. I gave him the keys and said "The brakes are a bit mushy, you'll have to pump them to get it to stop." and off he went. About 10 meters from my house was a intersection with a stop sign, I saw my car cruise all the way through the stop sign and continue about 10 more meters on the other side, all the time the brake lights flashing urgently. I started to walk after the car to apologize to my friend but he just yelled out "I'll use the hand brake" and drove off.  A pair of complete idiots.
Anyways, aided by my father, who fabricated a bracket to adapt it, I replaced the master cylinder with a second hand unit from a different car manufacturer. Don't know how legal it was but it was assuredly safe, the car lasted me another five years before the engine started smoking and the diff blew. If you know a fitter and turner or a mechanical engineer there might be cheaper alternatives.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

puretube

anybody else experimented with dual-phasers consisting of
a leading branch & a lagging branch versus dry?  :wink:

Mark: ouch - take care!  :shock:

octafish: is that where the term: "brake-dance" comes from? ( :oops: )

radio

I thought that picture was shot at the English Garden in Munich??

Greetings JME
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!