J201 Replacement ?

Started by fikri, May 10, 2005, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fikri

Hi !

I was looking for the BSIAB2 Project, and i was wondering if i can replace all the J201 transistor with the 2N5457 ? Because it is very difficult to find J201 in my country (And expensive too). Will it change the overall tone ? what are other replacement for J201 beside the 2N5457 ?

Thanks !

petemoore

Because Jfets vary from one unit to the next among say J201's, the substitutes part #'s [like 2n5457's] will probably work anywhere from 'great' to 'just wonderful' but some people may be able to type better about differences they were able to discern.

Another Great Jfet is the NTE458, which is a little higher gain yet than a J201. You probaly can't get J202's any better than the J201's either so...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mojotron

Quote from: fikriHi !

I was looking for the BSIAB2 Project, and i was wondering if i can replace all the J201 transistor with the 2N5457 ? Because it is very difficult to find J201 in my country (And expensive too). Will it change the overall tone ? what are other replacement for J201 beside the 2N5457 ?

Thanks !

Yes, 2N5457 work fine - the tone is a bit tighter and the tone control will not really compensate for the loss of lowend. But, a lot of people like the all 2N5457 sound better.

phillip

I have all 2N5457s in my BSIAB2 and it sounds great.  The 5457s will sound different from the J201s...they tend to be tighter sounding and a little brighter, but not quite as gainy.  

At any rate, I also tried the J201s in the circuit and I definitely preferred the 5457s with my Telecaster and Twin Amp.

Phillip

lowstar

hmmm, does that mean that if i want to use the bsiab for bass, it would definitely be worth a try to use only 201´s instead of 2/3 201/5457 since there will be more low end and less drive ?

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

benfox

Look around in the forum man !
You are not the only one !
There is a lot of substitutes. Check those links :
http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/parts/cross.html
http://modecideas.com/faq91.html
Cheers 8)
Sorry for my bad english !!

Steben

So when using 2N5457's, one could use a bigger input cap and/or more high-off filtering in tone control, in order to get closer to J201's?
and vice versa...???

Since we all know 2N5457 (and BF256A for example) are better available (and therefor usually cheaper) in Europe...
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Ed G.

I don't think there is a lack of bass with the 2n5457's, just tighter bass.

fikri

Guys, thanks for all the reply !

seanm

A 2n5458 will be a bit closer to the j201 than the 2n5457. The 2n5459 might even be better, but I have not tried them.