RAT 2 problem HELP!!!!!!!

Started by dannydowrong, May 13, 2005, 04:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannydowrong

have a RAT 2 with Lm308 chip and red led.

the light will turn on and bypass mode works, but i am not getting any sound...i've checked all my solder joints and even have reinforced them.

something peculiar (and sketchy maybe):

i opened up the pedal and exposed the circuit board while running into a small amp. turn the pedal on...i noticed that when i touced the outer solder joints of the left pot and right pot at the same time with a prod that the sound was fully engaged...i guess shorting something made the pedal work. and it sounded great too, which made me think i wasn't shorting out part of the circuit. i don't know, it was weird but worked great when i touched those two points at the same time. also when i touch parts of the switch (inside the pedal)..it flickers. is that normal? just want to get this thing working ASAP.

any ideas what may be wrong or how to test parts in layman's terms?>

thanks guys you all rock!
hold on folks

smccusker

Check the faq and build an audioprobe.
Those things are invaluble for finding where the signal path stops.
Guitar -> Amp

ESPguitar

Quote from: smccuskerCheck the faq and build an audioprobe.
Those things are invaluble for finding where the signal path stops.

What is the audio probe *i have seen the schems..
But i can't understand what it is for..

RB

smccusker

Its just a little device that shorts whatever you touch straight to the output, so you can literally hear where the circuit stops working.
Guitar -> Amp

dannydowrong

ok, so i built that little audio probe...

so do i take the end of wire connected to one of the capacitor legs and follow all the circuit board traces and solder joints? what should i hear?

the thing that gets me is when i touch those two solder joints simultaneously with my fingers, i get a full volume signal. does this rule out or key me into anything in particular? is my body acting as something? i used a multimeter to check for continuity and everything seemed good, but obviously i might have missed something. excuse my ignorance, i'm a mental dwarf in this area of troubleshooting.

DD
hold on folks