"Noise 567" review

Started by jmusser, May 17, 2005, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaicen_solo

I absolutely love the Thing Modulator. It was pretty much the first project I built from Tim's site, basically because I wanted to try out some perfboard i'd just got ;)
If only it would shut the f**k up!! At high frequencies (where the bell tone lives) it's not too bad, but I still couldn't use it.
I was thinking it might be possible to add a quick and dirty gate that mutes the output when there's no input, maybe an LED/LDR combo.
Even so, it's not an ideal situation but like Tim says, it's a super simple single chip design. You get what you pay for I suppose!

jmusser

Thanks Threefish for the update. I still have the Thing Modulator circuit in a baggy somewhere, so I'll give the mods a try to wake the circuit up.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Threefish

I'll shut up about this soon, but I thought I'd just elaborate on the LDR/pot setup I used if anyone is interested.
I've used the 100k pot as in Tim's schem, with the LDR in place of the 10k resistor.
I tried the 1M pot in this arrangement, but found that 2/3 of the pot's arc gave me mostly clean signal. The 100k pot is much more usable in my arrangement.

The LDR I used was something off the shelf at Jaycar with these specs :

Light Dependent Resistor (LDR)
Cadmium Sulphide (CdS) light dependent resistor cell. - Similar to Philips ORP12-
Dark Resistance: min10M-
Light Resistance: 48k - 140k-

Max Dissipation: 30mW- Rise Time: (0~63%) 40mS- Decay Time: (100~37%) 10mS- Dimensions: 5.1mm x 4.3mm ±0.2- Lead spacing: 3.4mm

There was one other LDR that Jaycar had with only a 0.5 - 8.4kohm range, and I figured that the larger range of the first would maybe be more usable. Depending on the position of the pot, the LDR gives a range of slightly coloured clean (really!) at max resistance (pot completely anticlockwise and LDR covered) through to flat out oscillation scream (pot completely clockwise, LDR uncovered).
"Why can't I do it like that?"

tiges_ tendres

I sure appreciate your findings as I just got an lm567cn from jameco and wondered if it would work in this circuit!

fingers crossed

Try a little tenderness.

jmusser

I still need to get hold of the CMOS version and give it a whirl. The thing was, at the time, I was getting together a pretty good sized Mouser order, and they wouldn't work with me to get one in on that order, and I didn't want to go to arrow, and pay more for shipping than the chip was worth, so I gave up on it. Since I'm not an EE, I don't know what it would take to make these circuits really work sweet, but it seems like these two chips have a lot of potential. These are the only two circuits I know of that use these chips.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

polivox

if you guys are still interested i have found a way to stop the whine of the 567 ic. it's all here http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104335.0 thank you