Surplus electrolytic tilt sensor

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), May 17, 2005, 09:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Gladmarr

I actually used to work with a guy who developed those....  Okay that wasn't as interesting as it sounded when I first went to write it....

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: GladmarrOkay that wasn't as interesting as it sounded when I first went to write it....
It might be, if you told us why he had to develop them!
And what he's developing now.. unless then he'd have to kill us :shock:

Gladmarr

The ones I speak of were used in electronic pens for signature recognition.  In theory, when you write your signature, you always use the same tilt angles (within a certain tolerance).  That coupled with position reporting at the tip of the pen, gives pretty accurate signature authentication....  Like I said, not very musical or even totally interesting, but that tilt sensor could be pretty rad as a two dimensional CV device.  Kinda like a wah pedal on two axes.  Yeah.

Oh yeah, the guy who used to develop these things is probably making Tasers now... kinda a waste of talent.

ninoman123

Good luck designing a foot pedal that can move on two .It would be great for a single axis pedal but you couldnt use it for both. Or you could build a little joystick into your guitar, that would be funky.

QuoteThe ones I speak of were used in electronic pens for signature recognition. In theory, when you write your signature, you always use the same tilt angles (within a certain tolerance).

Just cant use the pens upside down. :wink:

smashinator

If you wanted a 2 axis pedal, I'd say get an old (or just cheap) ball-type tripod and take a hacksaw to it.  A little ingenuity and you'd be good to go.

:twisted:
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: GladmarrThe ones I speak of were used in electronic pens for signature recognition.  In theory, when you write your signature, you always use the same tilt angles.

That's interesting :D
Imagine using a pen like this to control the two filters in a vowel filter while you wrote your shopping list or whatever..!

ninoman123

You could make it into an instrument in itself using two filters. You know those cans that when you turn them upside down they moo? It would be like that... We could use SMD and build it into one of those egg shaker things, and call it the Eggvelope Filter.  :twisted:

Gladmarr

You could make one of those old punching bag wobbler toys into a pedal or synth module.  so when you punch Bozo in the nose, depending on which way he goes over, you'd get different variations in the sound.

ninoman123

That would make for good onstage antics