18v from 9v works !!

Started by MartyMart, May 18, 2005, 01:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninoman123

They dont have free samples of that product... :?:

The Tone God

Quote from: ninoman123They dont have free samples of that product... :?:

Imagine that. TI not sending out free samples of their more expensive and less used parts. It almost sounds like they are trying to deter free sample abuse but I'm sure no one here wouldn't do that. :roll:

Has anyone taken the time to read the datasheet and app notes to see if this part is actually usable or is someone just picking a part out of the air with a huge number of assumptions :?:

Andrew

ninoman123

I wasnt asking I was telling him...the question mark made it seem like I was asking why they didnt...It was questioning where he got the idea that they gave out free samples.  Anddddd yeah I dont really think it will work that well either.  Seems overkill for something that can be solved by another battery or something....[/list]

The Tone God

Quote from: ninoman123I wasnt asking I was telling him...the question mark made it seem like I was asking why they didnt...It was questioning where he got the idea that they gave out free samples.  Anddddd yeah I dont really think it will work that well either.  Seems overkill for something that can be solved by another battery or something....

Yeah I figured as much. Just thought I would make it alittle clearer just in case they missed that we disscurage the abuse of the free sample programs offered by part manufactures.

It may or may not work. I haven't read the paper work but I wouldn't be surprised if several different issue would creep up with the use of this part. Then the OP would be back asking how to make that work with little response and so on. It really would be easier to build it per the original specs.

For the record charge pumps are always horrible for efficiency and provide little current. Remember voltage is but one part of the equation.

Andrew

hardi_ami

Hello

I was just trying to give you another way to get 18V out of a 9V adapter .. I live in France and I just can't seem to find the MAX IC, so I was looking for another way around. Besides, batteries are expensive ...

And they DO send free samples (don't get %^&*y : they won't send you more than one of them) of the 20V chip (PT5049).

Sorry if I did something wrong.

Michael

TheBigMan

If you can't get the MAX I'd try one of the alternative chips suggested in RG's article at www.geofex.com - that's how I found the ICL7660S was much easier to get in the UK.  You can get it from www.maplin.co.uk but I have no idea what their international shipping rates are like.  Perhaps one of your local suppliers will have one of the alternative charge pumps though?

gez

Quote from: TheBigManIf you can't get the MAX I'd try one of the alternative chips suggested in RG's article at www.geofex.com - that's how I found the ICL7660S was much easier to get in the UK.  You can get it from www.maplin.co.uk but I have no idea what their international shipping rates are like.  Perhaps one of your local suppliers will have one of the alternative charge pumps though?

I've bought them from www.esr.co.uk in the past, so they probably still do them.  I think www.rapidelectronics.co.uk also do them.

Easy (and cheaper) to roll your own from CMOS 555s.  I agree with Andrew though, pretty crap when it comes to max current they can supply before loading effects set in.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter