Capacitance/LCR meter? Will any do?

Started by Bluesgeetar, May 18, 2005, 10:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesgeetar

I'm am shopping for a good Capacitance only meter to measure large batches of caps.  Do I really need one that applies the caps rated voltage or will any cap meter do.  One meter that I am looking at applies the rated voltage up too 600V and plugs into the wall and the other meter uses 4 C batteries and doesn't have the features of the other, as far as I can see the battery one just measures capacitance and has a zero knob.

The price difference between the two is unreal.  The battery on is much much cheaper.  So will the battery one do for accurate measurement or do I have to spring for the high end one that applies the rated voltage then measures?

niftydog

you'd have to be pretty serious to want one that tests the voltage rating as well. Stick with the cheap one!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

toneman

highV test is not necessary, even if U use caps for tubes.
if U are just building stompboxex, this CapMeter works AOK--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7514805979&category=73160

i've had a similar unit for over 20yrs.

If U "need" an LCR meter....here one @ ebay...

Item # 7515528367

just do a search for "LCR meter".

staymeasured
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Bluesgeetar

Thanks guys!  You've been a huge help, as always.

A thousand thanks :D
BG

PS I just bought a Fluke 8020A, second hand, for resistor testing.  I am in hog heaven!!!!
The guy even tested the whole thing all ranges right in front of me on 2 different decadence boxes.  Hit her on the nose every time!!!!  Sweet little meter!!!

Bluesgeetar

Thanks for your advice Toneman.  

I got me one going on your advice.  Just sitting here watching for the delivery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7517995733&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

THANKS AGAIN TONEMAN!

BG :wink: