What number drill bit for PCB's

Started by Pushtone, May 23, 2005, 01:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushtone

What number (size) drill bit do you use for drilling out PCB pad holes?

Thanks Pushtone
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

rutledj

You might look at these.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&searchType=k&searchValue=drill%20bit&categoryId=601070

I recently tried the size 59 bit but I think the holes were a bit too large for 1/4 watt leads. The 75 looked small but I didn't try it.

Rut

niftydog

depends on the component!

but mostly I'd use 0.8mm or 1mm
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

jdjonsson

I bought a little tube of micro drill bits from a hobby store that are meant to be used in pin-vises. I use one that looks right, and it seems to work out. ;)

MRX2099

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/newprod.htm
here is a great palce to get miniture bits from, I got a 1/2 dozen of the #71 and 1/2 dozen of the #73, nealy perfect for 1/4 resistors, Mike is also a nice guy I get my scrollsaw blades here also, the scroll saw is a great way to cut the PCB board use the small blades and turn the speed low and get great true cuts on the PCBs, you'll need either the chuck there from mike or what I use is a dremel chuck ( found where dremel tools are sold, got mine form Wal-marts) and your dremel tool, works great.
hope that helps

Nikolay

For any resistors, caps transistors etc I use 0.8mm
For power voltage regulators like 7812, and all at TO220 socket and diodes like 1n4007 use 0.9
For some trimers and other elements use 1mm

Connoisseur of Distortion

i like my 1/32 inch bits... they're forgiving, and i don't have to bend leads to keep stuff in place!