Substitutes for LM308?

Started by Steben, May 24, 2005, 09:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

I was thinking of some Rat or Dist+ experiments, but I don't I want to use the LM741 nor the rare LM308.
Anyone knows a less noise, but low slew rate OpAmp?
I thought I saw some hints, but can't remember where.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

MartyMart

A TL070 should be fine, in fact my "re-issue" Rat has one inside !!
sounds great, and I used one in the "Mongoose" too - very similar circuit

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

spudulike

TL070s are just as hard to find IME - I had better luck finding LM301's.

The Tone God

Quote from: spudulikeTL070s are just as hard to find IME - I had better luck finding LM301's.

Digikey has TL080s in DIP form which should be sufficant. Digikey is availible in the UK.

Andrew

Paul Marossy

I used a CA3130 in mine. I don't know how available those are - I had them given to me. Chances are they are out of production...

jdjonsson

I've had ok luck with NTE replacements, even though they're expensive. I used an NTE1641 in place of an MN3007 in my Tonepad Small Clone, and didn't notice any difference when I finally ordered the MN3007 from Smallbear.

The NTE938M is listed at mouser as a replacement for the LM308, and they're $10 each.

Might work.

spudulike

:shock:  $10  :shock:
Thats £5.47. RSH sell LM301A at 45 pence each ...

littlegreiger

You could use any single opamp, like a TL071, as long as it has the same pinout or you adjust your build to fit the new pinout.

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Steben

But what about the slew rate (seem to guarantee softer clip and smoother pick attack)? Should this be taken serious? the TL... series seem to have faster slew rate. Maybe they sound ok, but different. I don't know.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

WGTP

IIRC the slew rate of the TL070 can be adjusted with the extra cap it has that the TL071 doesn't.  Same as the LM308.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Paul Marossy

QuoteYou could use any single opamp, like a TL071, as long as it has the same pinout

If you do use a TL071, omit that 30pF cap between Pin 1 & 8. The TL071 is internally compensated, and that cap on that the LM308 requires isn't required with the TL071. And, IIRC, the cap that is internal to the TL071 is around 30pF as well. I think it was 27pF.

The thing that's kind of cool about the LM308 type opamps is that you can mess with different value caps. I don't know that there is any benefit in doing that, but the option is there.  8)

MR COFFEE

What WGTP said - ditto.

The TL070 with a larger compensation cap sounds the same EXCEPT it doesn't HISS so damn much.

By overcompensating the '070, it drops the slew rate to match the '308 which slews at an anemic 0.1v/us. Which just happens to sound good in this applcation for just the reasons you stated.

The noise of the TL070 is an order of magnitude better. You CAN hear that. And you'll like the quiet.

Steve Daniels at Small Bear stocks TL070s - go there.  :)
Bart

Khas Evets

Mr Coffee, what value cap did you use on the TL070?

Prive

I have some LM208, anyone use it?

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

MR COFFEE

To drop the slew rate of the TL070 from 13v/us down to the 0.1v/us of the LM308 requires overcompensation.

There is nothing sacred about 0.1v/us, BTW.

If 18pf yields 13v/us in a TL070, then 180pf slows you down to ~ 1v/us, assuming the charging current mirror doesn't saturate (which it probably will if you go for 0.1v/us)

Start there and work down to what sounds good to your ears.

This is about LISTENING and using your own artistic skills.

FWIW... and oh, YMMV.  :)
Bart

Doug_H

Yes, from what I remember (long time ago I played with this stuff) 180p sounded about right with the TL070. The LM308 is a real p.o.s.. Don't waste your $$ or time with it, IMO. Nothing magic about it - just noisy and harsh. The TL070 sounds real good in this kind of ckt.

Doug

grolschie

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 24, 2005, 05:54:28 PM
I used a CA3130 in mine. I don't know how available those are - I had them given to me. Chances are they are out of production...

I tried a CA3130EZ in my Rat today. Really nice.   :)

WGTP

There is also the NE5534 that has a little nicer sound with the stock cap.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sa5534a.pdf
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

RobertJay

Hey, Hi and hello. I was asking the same question and this feed from 2005 came up. Anyone still here? Will anyone get an email notification that this was replied to so late in time? We'll see. Based on what I've gathered here. My lack of LM308 chips has given me 3 options for my Rat build. It's a Lil Mouse from BYOC. Calls for a LM 308 w a 33pf cap between 1&8. The best replacement would be a OP07, Same slew rate. Or... 3 options. An 070 w a 180pf cap, an 071 w no cap, or use a 741, and I'm not sure if the 741 gets a compensation cap. Thoughts?.... Hello? Anyone? hahaha  years later?