Input and output jack placement vs. schematic

Started by bassmeister, May 24, 2005, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmeister

Just a thought that struck me; How come it is (sort of) standard to draw schematics with the input to the left and the output to the right, while most boxed up designs (DIY as well as commercial) has the input and output jacks placed the other way around? To me, it comes more natural thinking left-to-right. Would there be a real reason to have the input to the right, or did it just so happen in the beginning of effects building? Being born in 1978, maybe someone older and wiser than me has an idea?

for most righthanded players, the cable goes out the right side of the guitar body.  Your feet are to the left of the cable.  Having your pedal chain start to the right of you and continue towards the left seems to work best.  Your cable will never be in the way.

lefthanded players probably wish pedals were oriented the other way.  i wonder if any lefthanded players on this forum orient their jacks the other way?

petemoore

Funny, because all of mine are L to R ...input to output [except of course the commercial ones I have ...lol] I decided to follow the 'reading rule', and haven't had a probem not otherwise marking them.
 To 'install a 'schematic' with right input and left output in the box, flip the board around.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ryanscissorhands

Not sure why pedals usually go left to right, but shcems go the other way because when you look INTO the pedal, the circuit is backwards, and matches the schem (right to left).

LivingDeadPunk

I think the original Harmonic percolator goes left to right, do you know other commercial pedals which go the same way?
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

scratch

I don't know about other 'businesses' but the computer company I work for always had the schematics drawn where the signals flowed from left to right (most of the time). So in multipage schematics it kind of reads like a book. I think the 'Art of Electronics' book had a section on "how" to draw schematics ...
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...