overdrive pedal help?

Started by G Kresge, May 24, 2005, 06:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Kresge

I have just come off the road and had a strange problem midway through the tour. Three different overdrives on my board (Boss OD1, Boss BD2 w/ indyguitarist mod, and TS9 w/ TS808 mod) are failing to reach unity gain.

This began happening with all three pedals at the same time apparently. I was normally using them all with the output level controls set around 12 o'clock with good results, but suddenly had to dime them out to even get close to the desired level. Alsothe tone was much less clear/transparent.

Can anyone think of what would cause this to seemingly happen overnight?

powerplayj

What pedals do you run in front/ behind these pedals?  Were you running your amp on the same channel when the volume detent occurred?  How many pedals do you have connected to one power supply?
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

G Kresge

Here's my signal path:

Gtr -> Boss Tuner > OD1 > BD2 (or TS9 or SD1) > Boss DD2 -> Amp

The tuner is powering the other three pedals via daisy chain.

I do have a channel switching amp (Crate Blue Voodoo 300), but only use one channel (the other two channels have radically differnt EQ and gain structures to my ear).

petemoore

First thing I [we'd?] suspect is the power supply, since it is the common between the three pedals at the point of failure, checking the PS itself to see how much voltage it's currently actually putting out...if too much [like 16v or more] there could be damage to components in the pedal, if too low a voltage output [like I don't know 7.5v I guess] try a fresh battery on one of the pedals to see if that doesn't help the performance.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

wampcat1

Quote from: G KresgeI have just come off the road and had a strange problem midway through the tour. Three different overdrives on my board (Boss OD1, Boss BD2 w/ indyguitarist mod, and TS9 w/ TS808 mod) are failing to reach unity gain.

This began happening with all three pedals at the same time apparently. I was normally using them all with the output level controls set around 12 o'clock with good results, but suddenly had to dime them out to even get close to the desired level. Alsothe tone was much less clear/transparent.

Can anyone think of what would cause this to seemingly happen overnight?

This is always what happens to me when I buy a computer/home stereo/etc....the day the warranty runs out is a sure guarantee the next day it won't work!!  :lol:

Seriously, I'm thinking something happened power-wise -- maybe a power spike of some sort? Is the tuner reading properly?

:?:  :?

G Kresge

The tuner functions normally. The delay seems to as well.

I won't be able to try a new power supply until next weekend, but I'm definitely gonna buy a new one and try that first.

Thank you!

aron

pop in a 9V battery and isolate the a box by itself.

use different cords and plug from:

guitar->amp and listen to level.
Now try guitar->pedal->amp and bypassed confirm that level is correct.
Now engage pedal and confirm that the volume is low.
If not, now try with the common adaptor. If it's low then it's the adaptor.

If pedal is low with battery then???? something IS wrong with pedal.

Steben

sell them all and get yourself a Blue Magic (www.generalguitargadgets.com) ;-)

Just kidding, I like the Blue Magic Sounds. Haven't built it yet... :twisted:
I guess the power supply should be checked indeed.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them