Audio Amplifier

Started by wui223, May 24, 2005, 11:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wui223

I have a Kustom 16w amp, i plan to change the audio amp IC inside. It is a 20w IC, if i change to higher watt IC from the same line, can i get higher output wattage, louder sound ?
Do i have to change other components as well ?

petemoore

Are you looking for suggestions outside just changing the chip?
 'Increasing the # of speakers and cab size will probably make 'louder' than messing about inside the amp. Keep the speaker load matched ohmage for the amp.
 The way it's set up, with heat dissipation [and everything else], all that trouble...maybe if you find a chip that promises better performance and is a direct swap...otherwise I'd consider other options.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

octafish

Bigger, or more, speakers, or more, bigger speakers.
My little ruby (less than 1 watt) into a 4x10" cabinet sounds much louder than my LM380 based amp (more than 2.5 watts) into a single 8" speaker.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

Steben

Or replace speakers with more efficient ones. from 97dB/W to 103dB/W makes it almost double as loud you know.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

gez

Quote from: wui223if i change to higher watt IC from the same line, can i get higher output wattage, louder sound ??

Unless it offers more headroom, in which case you could up the gain slightly, no you're not going to get anymore 'volume', not without increasing supply voltage.

QuoteDo i have to change other components as well

Probably, depends on the chip...

A higher power chip may be able to drive more speakers...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter