Some general posting questions

Started by jmusser, May 25, 2005, 02:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

This is real embarassing, but there may be other people like me on here too that don't know how to do this stuff, so here goes. If there is an FAQ somewhere on these questions, please point me in that direction. I have seen people highlight what other people say on a previous, and then answer in the next, and... I don't know how to do that. I have seen people post schematics or pieces of schematics for illustrating a point and.....I don't know how to do that. I seen people say "Look Here", and when you click on it, it magically takes you to a link and...I don't know how to do that either. :oops:  These may be techniques that have absolutely nothing to do with the forum, and are common knowledge to everyone in the world but me. I don't know how to put things in paragraph or list form on a post either, I just sort of string it together in a mess, and hope people can decipher it. Could someone set me straight on this? I'm sure it has something to do with these boxes above here, but I don't want to post a bunch of test patterns either. Be gentle.[/quote][/url][/list]
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

gaussmarkov

You can experiment without posting using the Preview button beside the Submit button.

Also, if you see a post with the technique that you want to use, you can see how it was put together by clicking the Quote button above the message on the right.  Everything in the original post appears in your reply box, inside the appropriate "quote" markup.  These are phrases inserted into your message that are enclosed in brackets.

The buttons above the reply box just make it easier (sometimes) to put the markup stuff into your reply.

Have fun!

JimRayden

Either the "preview" button or check out this place

-----------
Jimbo

gez

When you type a reply there's a little menu above the box you fill out.  One of the buttons says 'Quote'.  Copy and paste text from another message into yours, block it out and click 'Quote'.  Alternatively, just click on the quote button in that persons thread and it will copy their whole reply into yours.  Just edit it before posting.

For paragraphs use the return key on your keyboard.

For inserting images, type in your link, block it out and click 'Img'.

Click preview to see how everything turns out (especially with images as you may wish to resize them before posting).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

aron

Don't forget the misc/testing forum.

Yep, check out the buttons above the text field :)

gez

PS  Don't feel embarrassed, I only found out this stuff through trial and error.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

object88

How to make an inline link:

I like searching for schematics at [url=www.google.com]Google[/url]!  Where do you search?

Result:

I like searching for schematics at Google!  Where do you search?

Enjoy!!

jmusser

Thanks everyone! I sure didn't know about the test page, so I'll go play over there and see what I can make work. Maybe it's a guy thing, but it's always been hard for me to blurt out "I don't know". I don't feel so weird if I have a clue, but if I have to just go "Duh", it's just tough.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".