DL-4 footswitch layout

Started by chokeyou, May 26, 2005, 01:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chokeyou

This is meant to replace the innacurate expression pedals. I was curious if somebody could check to see if my polarity on the dual color LED is correct. Also, if anybody knows off the top of their head what the max resistance is out of a line6/bespeco expression pedal, I'd love to hear it. I know my 100K moog expression pedal was much too great, it only responded to the first half of treadle travel.
Otherwise, enjoy.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/353637086/353637551tAbDey

maximee

i'm not sure, but I think I once read that the expression pedal was 10k...

chokeyou

Quote from: maximeei'm not sure, but I think I once read that the expression pedal was 10k...

i must have read the same thing, something was telling me i should use a 10K. anyways, i ordered up my enclosure and dual color LED for this from mouser, I should get parts and begin tinkering with this in 10 days or so. I'll keep you all posted.

puretube

me too, thinx Mr. Way Huge posted s.th. like that...

Rodgre

So let me get this straight. This circuit is to use in liu of the expression pedal to get the two extremes of pedal travel with a footswitch?

Pretty novel idea. I'd like to try this as well, but I'd also like to be able to select the pedal because I often do realtime changes as well.

Roger

ExpAnonColin

The stock one is 10k, tip-to-sleeve variable resistance.

I have never, ever had any problems with my expression pedal and my DL4.

-Colin

chokeyou

tip to sleeve, thats good to know, so the ring is what, ground?

im not saying theres a problem with the expression pedal, but switching between 2 delays when a specific delay time is needed is what this is for. switching between the extremes of a expression pedal is simple as well, but I ordered myself a little enclosure for this switch-- the same size as the micro loopers offered at loooper.com to do the controlling...size is an issue for me. Why you ask? Because I've got a nord lead rack on its way into my pedalboard along with a roland GI-20. sweet guitar synth action here i come.

Processaurus

Hi, I did this for my DL-4 when I had one, its works really well, because you can store 3 extra patches.  The Line 6 EP1 expression pedal uses a mono cord, rather than trs, because the expression pedal is set up as a 10k to 0 variable resistor between the tip and ground.  The switch unit I had that worked pefectly was really simple, it used a spdt switch.  It had an LED too.  The tip had a 10k resistor to ground that was always connected.  The common lug on the switch was connected to ground, and would go between shorting out the 10k to the tip, and connecting an LED to ground.  There was no interaction between the battery LED circuit and the DL-4, because the only connection they ever shared is a ground.  I don't think you could do a bicolor LED with this simple circuit though.  You could with a DPDT switch, however.

LyleCaldwell

I did the same thing, only I used a 100K resistor, as that's what I had handy.  Doesn't really matter, as the DL4 "calibrates" itself when you save the pedal settings.  I used a Zoom pedal.

BTW, I just sold my DL4 and still have the modified Zoom pedal that would work with any DL4.  I put in an LED that runs off 2 AA batteries.  I expect the batteries won't need changed but once a year or so.  If anyone would like to just buy mine, $10 plus shipping and it's yours.

caldwell   a t   bellsouth   d o t   n e t

Sorry for the weird email spacing above, but it's to deter spambots.
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

Mr.Huge

BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Processaurus

Aauugh, Mr Huge beat me to it, I just posted this drawing in another thread,
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=86a15305358d1fbbce62a1871d0bcb36;topic=37844.0

Mr Huge's is better though because it doesn't need a battery, I guess it helps to know whats going on inside the thing when you start to make accessories.  Thanks...

Rambo66

Does anyone have the drawing for Mr. Huge's schematic? The link isn't available anymmore. I know there are other drawings but everyone seems to say that his is better because it doesn't need a battery.

Also, is there anyone here who would be willing to build this forme?

Thanks!

Gladmarr

I built the WayHuge version of this for my DL4, and it's worked perfectly.  It's really easy to build, but I don't have it written down anywhere.  I can check mine at home tonight and reverse engineer it to post a drawing.  It's REALLY easy to build.  You should be able to do it pretty simply yourself.  I'll see what I can get out here tonite.

Gladmarr

Here's what I could figure from what I built:

Mr.Huge

Quote from: Rambo66 on May 25, 2006, 11:43:17 AM
Does anyone have the drawing for Mr. Huge's schematic? The link isn't available anymmore.

Sorry about that... Here ya go:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/EX1Foot.PDF

-Mr. Huge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Processaurus

Note you can get by with a SPST switch, if you connect the LED anode to the 10K and the tip, and use the switch to short the tip, the 10K, and the LED to ground.

You could put this mod in the pedal if you wanted, like stick the switch on top behind the knobs, there's plenty of space up there.