another BSIAB2 was given birth

Started by transient, May 26, 2005, 06:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

transient

Hi there,

I've built a BSIAB2 as my second build (the first one was an OS comp), and i must say it sounds really good.

It wasn't easy for me to fit everything in that box, but after careful planning, i managed to get it right. I've built it on two equal-sized pieces of perf, each one carrying one half of the circuit. I mostly used J. Anderson's -recently posted- perf layout, but re-placed some of the components because of the divided layout issue. It worked right at the first try 8)

I might post a sound sample in a few days...

emre

good job!  hey did you prepare the finish on the box to look beatup, or did you just use a beatup looking box?  either way, it looks pretty awesome!

transient

That's actually a brand new box :D It was intentionally done like that. ;)

emre

octafish

Cool finish, looks burnt, blackened by flame. Very rock, care to share the technique?
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

transient

Quote from: octafishlooks burnt, blackened by flame.

Well, you guessed it right :D

emre

haha nice.  i'm getting sick of spray painting.  next time i'll just take a torch to the box!  :D

Alex C

Nice work, and that's encouraging, because this weekend's project is trying to stuff the BSIAB II into a 1590BB as well.   Can the blackness be rubbed off?  That's a neat idea.

KORGULL

Cool! I like the look. It could be a recovered black box from a plane wreck or something.

transient

Quote from: Alex CCan the blackness be rubbed off?

It can easily be rubbed off before the clear coat, so easily that even a single touch can remove the stain in the area you touched. But once clear coated, it stays there. However, it's not hard to get the box scratched after the clear coat, which would usually be a bad thing, but those additional scratches help the look in this case 8)

emre

darkseid

very cool ... probably would be a very hot looking box,  with the knobs a little melted :)

transient

The knobs were held over fire as well, but not long enough to melt 'em ;)

e

transient

Well, it's been over a month since i built this, but didn't have much time to play with it until now. It sounds pretty good 8)

But there's one thing i'd like to ask, is it normal to have no sound when the drive knob is set to zero? I would guess it is, but since it's built on perf, it could be a wiring mistake as well :D

e

LoKi6922

do you have a pic of the inside? i'm interested in the dual perf layout.. my weekend project is also trying to fit a bsiab2 in a 1590bb...

but i don't use batteries, so i have a little more space available i guess...

transient

Umm... To be honest, i had a problem with the double-perf circuit after some time, so i have rebuilt the circuit on a single perf, as i didn't want to troubleshoot the first one :D But the problem was not because of the dual-perf layout.

Although tight, both layouts (of course not at the same time) fit in the box. I used 125B for the box, which is a lot smaller than a 1590bb, but a little deeper.

I guess i can a take a photo of the inside, but it's so chaotic in there that it wouldn't be helpful :D

e

Alex C

Quote from: transientIs it normal to have no sound when the drive knob is set to zero?
Yes, this is normal.

transient