True Bypassing a Digitech Whammy 4?

Started by gr8ful79, May 27, 2005, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8ful79

Hey there everybody,

Just curious if any of you have tried adding a true bypass to a digitech whammy 4 pedal. Is this possible?

If you have, could you give some info on what you did.

Many, many thanks.

Alex C

The simplest solution here would probably be to use a separate true-bypass box.  This is easiest and involves no modification to the actual pedal, and saves you from having to deal with small SMT components and switching circuits.  You can learn more about a true-bypass box with the search feature at the top of the screen.  Basically, it's like this (sorry if you know this already):

There is an input jack, output jack, DPDT or 3PDT bypass switch, and two jacks for loop SEND and RETURN.  
The signal enters the input jack and passes to the bypass switch, which selects whether to pass the signal to the output jack (bypass) or to the loop SEND (which is your Whammy, which should always be "on").  The other pole is at the same time selecting whether to pass to the output the signal from the input jack (bypass) or the signal coming from the loop RETURN (Whammy).

Like this:

As far as actually modding the pedal itself, I don't know, sorry.

Roberto

I did that mod. I have the pics somewhere... I will post they  later.
[

slotbot

i rememer someone tellingme that the whammy 4 actually is true bypasses already. if you look at the brochure here it mentions it in the lower right hand corner

http://www.digitech.com/literature.htm

although im not saying for sure it is or it isnt. i do have one and i have never noticed any tone sucking problems with it (even with a bass/vocals)  when its bypassed. but i would assume by the very fact that your asking how to mod it, that the pedal is not actually true bypass.

scott.

Loggie

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...