Tube Echoplex question

Started by Vsat, May 28, 2005, 08:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsat

Have a garage sale EP-2 Echoplex here... electronics are working now, but the tension spring that presses the felt pad against the tape is missing... anyone have any hints on how to make a replacement spring?
Cheers, Mike

Rodgre

The actual designer of the Echoplex still services them and can probably provide you with parts. Do a web search for Echoplex and see what you find.

Or have a friend press the tape against the felt for you while you play :)

Roger

WGTP

I just ordered a new cartridge from Mike Battle and it includes a the part your talking about, or you can buy it seperate for $3.   8)

http://www.tubeplex.com/vintageshop.html
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

petemoore

I had a long conversation with Mike back in the early 80's, at his shop on E. Market St. Akron Ohio. Don't get him started on the Gibson Maestro / Battles relationship..[outch].
 A very nice guy and proud of his very popular creation, and it's many fans / followers, bitter about the deal the was wrote on it. I'm pretty sure if you contact him, he'll be able to help you out...I always wanted to have one of those...and a Big Box of new tapes...'Joe had one, it was always in use on stage or by the mixer...[ran it for years, needed serviced once or twice in that time].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Vsat

Guys, big thanks!

Saw the name "Don Dixon" come up while I was googling, nice to hear he's still busy with these. Tapes pretty worn in this one, might try making a new loop or else order a new cartridge.

WGTP: what is the flat spring actually made out of? Is it a thin piece of metal, or plastic or...?
Cheers, Mike

Rodgre

And by the way, before you ask, it's not the same Don Dixon as the producer who did the REM stuff...

Roger

WGTP

It looks like copper.  It will bend and straighten back out.  The end is shaped to go around the stud under the tape casette.  Not much presure on the tape.  I understand the tape casette usually comes with a new one.  I guess you can load your own tape into one, or some places will re-tape them for you for $10.  I'm sure good tape will help the sound.     8)

Vsat

Thanks a lot WGTP! If the metal is both springy and copper-colored, might be phosphor-bronze.
Cheers, Mike

WGTP

I got it right here.  It is about 4" long, prior to the U shape being added at the end to go around the stud that holds the cassette in place.  The felt is 3/4" long  mounted at the end opposite the U.  Width is 1/4" as is the felt thickness.  Probably any springey metal that will hold the felt to the roller will work.  Hope that helps.  
:)
Cool machine and the tube ones are worth a bunch.  Try moving the delay length lever while it is echoing.  You can play this thing like a synth. 8)

Vsat

Thanks again WGTP! Got some sticky-backed felt here, gonna give it a try  :D
Regards, Mike