Thomas Organ US Wah

Started by jabez, May 29, 2005, 01:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabez

Just aquired this Thomas Organ US made Dunlop Cry Baby for practically nothing. I am not to familiar with any of the Cry Baby wahs. I know Vox pedals very well. I was wondering if any one has a diagram of or could point me to a site that has info on what each resistor or capacitor does or what value each cap & resistor is on the PC Board because I have a cap & a couple resistors missing in it & i need to know for sure what to replace them with. It has a TDK inductor & 5117 plastic transistors & seems to be the only problem is somebody robbed it of a couple parts. Also I would appreciate if someone could tell me what kind of Capacitors these were * Is that some kind of Arial Electrolytic capacitor that is on the left side of the PC board next to the inductor.

jabez

these sites are mostly about Vox or about just true bypass. I am intetrested in replacing the correct or exact parts on the PC board that are missing

Fret Wire

Just do a search for the schematic. Try Fuzz Central. Btw, the GEO article is about how the wah ckt works, Vox or Crybaby.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

jabez

Manolo Dudes

May this help you. I suspect the 4u7 electrolytic is a replacement. I changed the switch to DPDT true-bypass myself. Other than that it's all original.
a.k.a. "Calambres" in www.pisotones.com

analogtom

Hey,

Thomas Organ wahs are nice (well, I like them anyway). It's got nothing to do with Dunlop though. Dunlop just appropriated the name "Crybaby" some time in the early to mid-'80s.

The caps in the American Crybabys were nothing special. I always take those out and put in Tropical Fish or Orange Drops. I don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference, but it sure looks cool.  :mrgreen:

Manolo Dudes' right - the cap on the far left is 4.7uF. There are also two .22uF caps and two .01uF caps. You can try playing with the value of the .01uF cap on the far right to change the sweep. You might want to try putting trim pots where the missing resistors are...

jabez

I found a diagram showing all the parts & it shows the electrolytic cap to be a 3.9uf originally.  

http://www.fulltone.com/ThomasCrybaby.jpg

RedHouse

My completely stock Thomas Crybaby has a 4.7uF Tantalum, there. The tant is a bullet shaped axial unit.