Help:Phuncgnosis schematic ?

Started by FisTheGoon, May 29, 2005, 01:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FisTheGoon

hi there, could any1 help me regarding Phuncgnosis circuit please.i impress with the sound sample  i got from http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html
but the problem is i dunno wat the aux in for ,where is  input jack  n output jack and the battery?could any help to redraw the schematic with the detail?with the bypass if could.

thanks u.:)[/img]

petemoore

The aux in shows it connected to a switched jack, so when no aux in plug is inserted to that jack, the signal from the input triggers the phunc. This aux input could be a keyboard, or even a sample of something as source input that varies voltage wise/phunc sweep.
 The voltage divider [top left] has a 'matched' 2 resistor string from V+ [also pin 8 of dual oa] to ground [also pin 4 of dual oa], Connect all places marked 'vr' [..these terms are interchangable: voltage reference = 1/2v = about 4.5v of 9v].
 Input is the line 'poking' out to the left, output is the line poking out to the right, input and output grounding is assumed, as are V+ to pin 8 of dual and V- to pin 4 of dual oa.
 Once you do an OA build or two, you'll see how these connections [also shown on OA Data sheet pages] are made.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

darkseid

I would like to build this too.... :)

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

I have a few Questions?

1. In the Phuncgnosis schematic is the .1uF and 100k the output on the far right side?    

2. Is .002uF going too the 1M VR and the jack input, does this have two inputs?  

3.If I was to use a TL062 are pins 4 and 8  not used. http://mselektronik.gdynia.pl/i/tl062smd.gif

4.If I had two 741's could I use them in this circuit  (not that I would)..?

I think I understand most of the schematic except not sure of those 4 things. Im a newbie at electronics and all this opamp stuff, just need a little direction lol.... :)

Bagge

I'll try to answer some of your questions to the best of my abilities:

Quote1. In the Phuncgnosis schematic is the .1uF and 100k the output on the far right side?
Yes, it goes to the output.
Quote2. Is .002uF going too the 1M VR and the jack input, does this have two inputs?
All labelled "vr" is connected. .002uF is going to input. Yes, it has two inputs.
Quote3.If I was to use a TL062 are pins 4 and 8 not used
From Cab 42's stripboard layout pin4 is ground and pin 8 is 9v.
Quote4.If I had two 741's could I use them in this circuit (not that I would)..?
I'll leave others to answer that question :)

Hope this helps out.

darkseid

Thanks Bagge, that does help me understand a little more. :) especially Cab 42's stripboard layout.  I might do my own layout as well :)

Few more ?

I see why 4 and 8 is used, ok kewl:) http://www.musikding.de/images/tl062.jpg

I don't understand why to leave it out of the phuncgnosis schematic?
I guess that is common practice with opamps, as petemoore says above.

ok There is two inputs, petemoore mentions a switched jack. First time I heard of a switch jack lol.
Is that a special Aux Jack?

My guess there is only one Aux switch jack in, that connects to two inputs right? How does it switch or something...
Does the jack switch it...

Sorry to ask so much lol....  I want to be 100% sure...

Bagge

It is common practice to assume v+ and v-. The aux jack is a common jack with a switch, where the switch is connected when unplugged, as in schematic. When you plug in, the connection is cut. I don't have a picture. There is also another jack for input. Here is more information from another thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=31869&highlight=phuncgnosis+aux

darkseid

darkseid

the arrow going into the jack threw me off... i have never seen a jack switch schematic before lol..... so when it is plugged in the arrow moves down and that disconnects it right?

i think it is the simple stuff that confuses me the most...

it would seem a bypass stomp box would be much better.

cab42

Quote from: BaggeCab 42's stripboard layout [/url]pin4 is ground and pin 8 is 9v.

Don't put too much confidence in the layout yet. Since I posted it I haven't had time to build or post a build report, so it's still not verified. However I'm quite sure (or at least hope) that it is OK.

I should add a note to the layout that the aux in is omitted, forgot that.

If you have any tips or comments for the layout, please feel free to participate.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

petemoore

The 'aux' in is a possible separate feed to the sidechain, the part that does the sweep controlling...the source can be a tape player, keyboard, 20sec repeating sampler with 'content'...or
 When you unplug the aux in, the guitar [or whatever you plug into the 'normal input'..the line poking left] is then connected as source to the sidechain. With guitar feeding the sidechain, higher or lower voltage controls the sweep, so every time a note is plucked, higher voltage is 'seen' by the sidechain and a sweep follows.
 If using a separate source into aux input to control sidechain, sweeps that are non-related to note plucking control the rate and number and type of sweeps the sidechain will 'see' and react to...following changes in output of that separate source.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

darkseid

Quote from: FisTheGoonhi there, could any1 help me regarding Phuncgnosis circuit please.i impress with the sound sample  i got from http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html
but the problem is i dunno wat the aux in for ,where is  input jack  n output jack and the battery?could any help to redraw the schematic with the detail?with the bypass if could.

thanks u.:)[/img]

Here you go for us Newbies......

Im not sure if it is correct, I drew it up real quick... half schematic half layout lol.....

Maybe easier to see it this way

FisTheGoon

thanks alot man 4 ur response. ur ans clear me some doubt.for the diagram thanks man.but can i omit the aux?regarding the aux,u say keyboard or sampler  can plug in right.so if i plug in at the same time plug in my guitar what sound i get?the aux input or my guitar?or guitar input overide the aux input ?please help :wink:  Lost in the Dark

darkseid

Yes you can omit the aux, I think some people have mention here on the boards of doing just that.

I dont know if it is correct, if not hopefully someone will notice.

without aux

darkseid

this would be the way I would hook it up with aux in

darkseid

spudulike

:roll:

With nothing plugged into the aux in, the guitar signal goes through to U1b for processing, and it also goes thru the switch contacts on the aux jack to the 1M pot for envelope triggering.

Plug a drum machine into the aux jack, the contact breaks, the guitar goes to U1b and the drum machine goes to U1a via the 1M pot for triggering.

This provides an external or internal trigger for the envelope.