Shin-ei fy-2 plus build report (Killer B)

Started by octafish, May 29, 2005, 09:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octafish

I'm still playing with the cap values on this one so its not exactly finished, plus it's been put on the backburner while I finish other more pressing projects. I built this one using Dragonfly's vero layout as a starting point, the first change I made was to swap the fuzz pot wiring to the divider style recommended by Mark Hammer. I also socketed most of the caps and added a LPB-2 to the front of the circuit.
Well I won't be boxing it up anytime soon, though it will probably get a housing eventually. I find it a little treblely for my tastes and of course horrible with chords. I like its aggresive fuzz and abrupt decay, but I can't find a use for it...yet. It probably would be good for soundscapes and cutting through a noise session, but I'm usually the one doing the droning in these situations.
I had originally wanted to add a recovery stage after the notch filter but it wasn't really needed as there is plenty of volume there. Also planned was a superfuzz style switch to bypass the notch. I found however that adding a 150 cap in parrallel with the 1n in the notch gave almost the sound of the bypassed filter without the volume increase of bypassing without a divider. Of course having a hanging cap is asking for pops when switching so its probably not the best idea if you were playing live.
The LPB-2 is a worthy addition to the circuit. When I label this pedal it'll definately called "Killer B" and the LPB bypass toggle will be labeled "AFRICANIZE". It really pushes this pedal over the top into an even more aggresive cicularsaw screetching "killer" fuzz. Think about using a dropsaw on some softwood and pushing the saw blade to hard..., but still musical. I would like to add more bass to this pedal, but without losing the "Killer B" so maybe switching input and output switches is the answer.  
This is a really nasty thin fuzz that not everyone will like, or find useful, but the part count is low, and from what I can tell it's not too common. So what the hell, shake your bees in a jar and let 'em loose, just don't blame me if you get stung.
Also I don't know if its relevant but I used two BC459B's as the trannys in the fy-2 and a BC459C in the LPB-2, Keens second? law can probably be applied.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant