my new PHUZZ pedals...

Started by arielfx, May 30, 2005, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arielfx

it took some time to complete but now they are done!

not very far from the original fuzz face design i admit but i like them better  8)
got AMAZING feedback from people hearing them. i wanted to share two sound samples my friend recorded and get some feedback on them.
the idea was to keep the samples raw as we can so the real tone of the fuzz comes through. only a little reverb was added. the clicks are from the switch and not the amp and all the compression you might hear came from the dynamic microphone itself (the amp was turned up loud).
the guitar is a les paul custom running to a modified vox wah into my phuzz phace and into a cornford harlequin combo.

one of the boxes has NOS ac128 transistors and the other general electric transistor with a little higher gain.

http://www.arielfx.com/sounds/Phuzz_Phace(GE).mp3
http://www.arielfx.com/sounds/Phuzz_Phace(AC128).mp3

sorry no pics yet.

Steben

No chance of knowing what you mean with "not so far from original design"? ;-)

We kinda like schematics ;-) it's a disorder, yet...

NOTE: The fuzz sounds kinda neat, but especially on the fuzz-type of bits in the sample (for me= screaming high notes and up down runs). Noddling chords etc... are not fuzz minded, not even with a 1000$ fuzz.
But even that sounds not bad in the clips ;-)
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

jmusser

I didn't care much for either one honestly. I thought the GE version through the wah sounded pretty good, but that was about it. The AC128 version I didn't care for at all period. Your rig sounded absolutely awesome without the fuzz, and once they were engaged, it made the whole thing sound like it was the cheapest crap you could get at a yard sale! This really astounds me that I'm even saying this, because I'm a dyed in the wool "fuzz whore". Your unfuzzed guitar and amp to me sounded as great clean as any I've heard here on this forum, or practically anywhere for that matter, but at least in my opinion, (which doesn't count for much BTW) the fuzz absolutely did not work with either your rig, or what you were using to record it through, one of the two.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

arielfx

jmusser - that's ok. i really appreciate the honest opinion. the truth is that it's very hard to capture the live tone of gear. we had both a dynamic mic and a condenser but we went for the dynamic because it's easier to use. the rig sounded out of this earth (this is not my rig. i play a strat into a rivera suprema) and the guy who played on the tracks also asked me to set him up with one of these :)

please listen to this other clip and let me know if you still think it's crap.

www.arielfx.com/sounds/ac128.mp3.mp3

jmusser

Now we're getting somewhere! That was 100% better than your first two clips. I like how you timed the switching of the effect to sound like a bomb going off! It sounds pretty nasty, and at least in the clip reminds me of some sort of bazz fuzz derivitive. If you can, record another clip playing some riffs and sustained notes, so we can get an idea of the voice it has. It's my opinion again, but this recording was much better with whatever you had to do differently. In the first one, it was almost like you had the mic crammed in the speaker cone of the amp, and had the mic over driven, but whatever it was made a big difference.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".