News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Wire types

Started by stump_jumper, May 30, 2005, 08:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stump_jumper

Been reading instructions on modding a gcb-95 wah. For the true bypass mod, some wire needs to be added to the circuit. THe instructions specifically indicate using thin, multistrand, flexible wire.  Of these characteristcs, which  of them are important and why?

i.e. Is it very impoartant that the wire is multi-strand? Is it very important that the wire is thin? etc

I happen to have 2 types of wire in my possesion right now. I have speaker wire which is kind of thick but is multistrand. And I also have somewhat thin wire but single strand. Which would be the better option? Or should I go buy new wire? Or does it even matter at all!

Thanks.

aron

You will have to take a look at the mod. In any case, you can use any type of wire, but multi-strand flexible wire is less likely to break than solid core wire etc... It's probably thin to make it easier to solder to the contact points.

niftydog

thin wire is often easier to use when modding stuff. You working with quite small surfaces to solder, so thin is better.

Stranded wire is less likely to break and is far more flexible than solid core. I pretty much use stranded wire exclusively.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

jmusser

If you're lucky enough to get some telephone cable, with the 24 gage stranded, striped wire in it, that stuff is the berries for doing this with. I believe it's teflon coated, because it can take a lot of heat without the insulation pulling back. I got a bunch that was stripped out of a cabinet for additions, and I may never have to but anymore. Most of mine was shielded twisted pairs, so you can use it that way, or strip it out of it's shielding for hookup.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

stump_jumper

Ok Thanks guys. So it sounds like the main points are that you want it to be easy to work with yet, strong enough not to break. I was worried that there would be differences in tone that would occur from using different types of wire.