Help debugging Ampeg Scrambler. Fixed, thanks everyone!

Started by nelson, June 01, 2005, 04:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Quote from: smashinatorI'm glad to hear you finally got it working.

Just a quick note about using the scrambler.  I found that it sounded best (going into my cheap SS amp) when I ran it into the amps distortion channel.  I could get some awesome pseudo-feedback sounds with the texture set to the extreme end.  By itself, I didn't find it particularily useful.

All the same, it was awfully hard giving it to my brother (I built it for him).  I guess I'm going to have to build myself another one.

I am running it into a watkins Scout, very similar to the Dominator, infact when fixing it the schematic to the dominator matched the amp 99%. The scout alas was missing its speaker and combo box, so I changed it into a head, this is running into 2X12 and a 1X15  celestion speakers, 15" cab is home built out of thick ply. The 2X12 is some unknown brand cab from the seventies and is open back (my doing). I tried it on the amps mic/clean channel it sounded crazy but not particularly useable, I can see it getting old fast, I havent tried it with tube overdrive YET. I am sure it will sound amazing I am really interested how it will effect feedback mainly will I get octave up on feedback? has the potential to sound very "sick".

I think there are useable rhythm tones hidden in there too, I like the way the blend pot interacts and this effect can be used quite subtly to create a "ghosting" effect. I like the fact of blending clean with effected signal so much I am going to build the mixer project at GGG.

Thanks for all your help this is a great effect.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

jmusser

I enjoyed reading through the thread, and watching the debug happen, and then seeing the final results. That's great, and it's also how you learn. Well... at least that's what they say, I've never had to debug anything personally, but I've heard it can be frustrating. :wink:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

nelson

Quote from: jmusserI enjoyed reading through the thread, and watching the debug happen, and then seeing the final results. That's great, and it's also how you learn. Well... at least that's what they say, I've never had to debug anything personally, but I've heard it can be frustrating. :wink:

I am glad you enjoyed reading it, I enjoyed writing it, in a very frustrated way. I have had to debug before but not to this extent, its usually just a blob of solder shorting something out, which i can usually spot. I learned to understand voltage readings on transistors and Dual opamps so I should be able to figure out more on my own in future. This has been a good learning process.

Thanks everyone (again).

:D  :D  :D  8)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X